SLC 5/04 distributed application

idowulawrence

Hi guys, I m experimenting with a distributed application consisting of 5 areas, each to use a SLC 5/04. The fifth is to be redundant using additional 2 chassis containing a SLC 5/04 and 1747-BSN scanners for backup. Each of the 5 SLC 5/04 chassis will also contain a 1747-DCM module as adapter for respective distributed SLC 5/04. The 1747-DCM of the 5 SLCs will connect together on RIO; the fifth SLC's DCM will connect to the redundant 1747-BSNs. Finally, I intend to connect the primary and secondary SLC 5/04s (6th & 7th) together on DH+ then to HMI with 1784-pktx card. This DH+ network is to be further connected to a 1770-kf2 for a serial conversion to DF1 required to interface a serial Ronan's Annunciator. My main challenge here is how to get the 2 networks to run successfully and the exact wiring drawings of the redundant arrangement on RIO and DH+ network.

Have you already purchased this equipment ?

If I had the choice, I would do this application with ControlLogix and interconnect the controllers using Ethernet, leaving the redundant system to run it's I/O on ControlNet.

The 1747-DCM is obsolete and no longer being produced. The 1747-BSN is really a specialty device for small systems that need "hot standby" controllers; it is a lot harder to use than normal ControlLogix redundancy because it does not crossload edits or data tables.