S7 UDP Broadcast speed / CPU Cycle Time influence

userxyz

Hi,

We are have speed problems with the following setup:
We are using UDP broadcasting for transmitting data to an MES Application on the server. We have configured 7 UDP Package Sends with 1500 bytes of data. In the beginning this setup worked well, but because of program additions we now see that the CPU Cycle time increased between 60 and 80ms.

When we log on the MES application, we can see that we receive data from a Package each aprox 400ms...

So we think that the cycle time * 7 Packages is the cause... that only one SEND is done per cycle... could this be correct ??

To speed things up we are thinking to replace the 317-PN/DP by a 319 CPU... ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

Can anyone give some advice how we can decrease the 400ms delay ?

Thanks in advace,
Kind regards,
Combo

It looks like you are sending the data out of the CP module. The communication would go significantly faster if it was sent directly out the integrated port of the CPU. This avoids using the backplane.

Ok

Ok...

So u think if we change the broadcast from CP to PN port that we gain speed ?

And change the cpu from 317 (60ms cycle time) to 319... wouldn't that be a fenomenal improvement ?

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,
Gerry

It looks like you are sending the data out of the CP module. The communication would go significantly faster if it was sent directly out the integrated port of the CPU. This avoids using the backplane.

The bottleneck is surely the 187.5 kpbs backplane. Start to use the PN port instead of the CP. To begin with it should not be necessary to change the CPU to a 319.
Changing to the onboard PN port can have as a sideeffect that the scan rate of OB1 increases. If that is not acceptable, you may have to change the CPU.