AB 1784 PCMK B comms cable length

exiled

Hi folks, i hope eveybody had a good Xmas and Nuyear.

I want to establish comms with an Slc 5/04 with a 1784PCMK/B card to a 1784-PCM5/B cable.
We need to extend the pcm/5 cable to physically monitor the process around the machine.
What is the maximum length we can go without any errors?

Thanks

With the 1784-PCM5 you can use the 9pin (DB9, remove the mini) and make a pit tail connection with a 3 conductor cable (Belkin blue hose), then plug into the DH+ and have the cable 100-200ft

This way you do not have to cut your cable....

I can not find the pinout....

But I think its
(top) Blue to pin 1
(bottom)Clear to pin 5
(middle)Sheild to pin 7

This is going from the top DH+ port on the 5/04 to your DB9 on the 1784-PCM5

Search to verify the pinout... or maybe someone else has it??

Thanks for your help gents. What is a "pit tail connection" ive never heard of that expression before?
TIA

I can not find the pinout....

But I think its
(top) Blue to pin 1
(bottom)Clear to pin 5
(middle)Sheild to pin 7

This is going from the top DH+ port on the 5/04 to your DB9 on the 1784-PCM5

Search to verify the pinout... or maybe someone else has it??

See PDF and picture below.

Thanks for your help gents. What is a "pit tail connection" ive never heard of that expression before?
TIA
I think he means "Pigtail Connection"

DH+_9_pin.jpg

Attachments

• PCMK cable pinouts.pdf
    37 KB · Views: 353
  • 1784CP7.pdf
    101.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
So I book mark a lot of threads and point my customers to them when I get the same question... I took a picture for a customer today so they could see just what I was talking about and I am puting it here so everyone will get a better understanding of the pigtail... this one also has a connector for the 2nd DH+ port on the 5/04 (note: both of the top two ports are the same, DH+)

This is on a 1748-PCM5 cable and just removed the small adapter and use the pinout that Mickey has posted

Hope this helps

100_2078.jpg

Sorry for reviving this thread but I had two followup questions:

1) What is the black connector at the end of the pigtail (outlined in red) called and where can I get one?
2) What is the maximum length I can run for the cable outlined in blue?
3) What gauge wire is required for the 3 wires in the blue outlined cable?

connector.jpg

Thank you for the responses Eric and Mickey.

My intention is connecting a laptop with PCMCIA to a SLC 5/04. I'm looking at doing a 300' wire run. Given that this should be sufficient for 100-200ft, I hope I'll be ok.