Mitsubishi FX series PLC?

Ken

Bet all have heard abt the FX series.. but have anyone heard of the F series? how old is the batch? is it obsolete these days? can anybody shed some light into how can i actually program and transfer the ladder logic into the F series PLC? Another questions is that i saw some old PLCs lying in the corner. it's Omron that is C40 something if i'm not wrong. same questions as above for this PLC.
regards

The F series is now obsolete but they must be good as I come across quite a few. The only way that I can program them is by a hand held programmer.
The hand held programmer (the part No I forget) is actually very good with a large screen and will program in list or ladder.
I got the programmer free when upgrading some F series to FX series.

The software medoc will probably program them but I have no idea of the cable part No either. The socket on the F1 F2 plc is a none standard one.

The 'F' series PLCs (F1 & F2 if memory serves) are obsolete. Aside from the hand held options, GP80 (not a bad unit, 7 rungs display) and a single bit unit, these PLCs could be programmed by PC if you had an interface module that clipped to the face of the controller.

At times I've inquired about the interface module (I guess the PLCs keep showing up at liquidation auctions and outlets and I'm always asked if they can still be programmed) and it seems that unless your local distributor has an extra that he wants to unload, this unit is also not available. In my case, can't get one.

Last time I used one of these, was back about 1990.

Yes, Medoc (DOS) will program these units as well as many of the FX and A series.

All that said, one is better off using an FX1S (low end) with a much cheaper price tag and much more power functions.

... rab

And the Omron C40s are obsolete as well (though I've got a handfull of 'em if anyone's interested!)...

beerchug

-Eric

thanks

guys, thanks a lot for your replies. I've seen some of these babies lying around in a shop dealing with second hand automation parts. Was thinking whether I can make something out from these obsolete PLCs. But think it's not possible since most of you do not know how the interface module is made. Of course, if anyone knows, please feedback to me ok?

Hi Ken

I learnt to program on the F series at least 12 years ago. Originally programming with the hand held programmer and a tape for program storage. You can as others have said, program these with Medoc. The catch is, that you have to have the special lead and box that plugs onto the front of the PLC. This also plugs into a special protocol converter. Both these items were sold together with the early versions of Medoc and could not be purchased seperately. As others have rightly said, you would be advised to go for the bottom market new versions.

Best regards

pbexpert

90% of our PLCs are Mitsubishi and many of them are old F series. Sometimes we have to modify the program. To do this we use MEDOC software and Mitsubishi I/F UNIT F2-20GF1 that includes MELSEC F2-20GF1 interface with 3 control ROM modules(F-20GC-1, F-20GC-2 and F-40GC). We bought last year these I/F UNITS from Mitsubishi distributor. We connect the interface to PC using cable with RS232-RS422 converter MODEL 422MITS. Connection does not work when we use cable SC-09. We have a couple of hand held programmers, but we don't use them.

I use a BEIJERS SC-05N cable to interface with the
FX,FXo and FXon series PLC. (FXo and FXon using homemade
adapter cable)

The cable says it will also work for A series.

I am allways hearing reference to the SC-09 cable.

Now I am wondering what the difference there is
between the two?

Yes you need the PCX-KIT-1 for the F,F1,and F2 series.

It includes the F2-20GF1 converter.

Mitsubishi produced a module for the F series PLC to alow it to be used with MEDOC it clipped onto the f series and connected to a laptop via an SC-03-S1 unit.
the clip on module is an F2-20GF1 Mitsubishi no longer produces these but there are still a few around.

On www1.1htech.com there is een explanation of the differences. As i read well the only difference is the way of powering the convertor.

As i have build a cable like the sc-09n for a FX0 with a external powerd RS232/RS422 convertor, maybe it will also work for all other types???

Total costs of homemade cable are about 80 euro. That means 78 euro for the convertor and 1 euro for the mini-din 8p connector. So if anyone knows a cheaper convertor....

misubishikabel.jpg