Kinetix 6500 drive with motor brake

taylor1982

Hello,

i am using a Kinetix 6500 drive system. The motor has a motor brake. For my applycation it should be possible to turn the axis by hand (no motor brake, no servo loop closed). And in different case ist should be possible to lock the motor with brake.

From former machines I know that when I am doing a MSO the motor opens the brake and the servo loop will be closed (I guess in this case it´s not possible to turn the motor by hand).

When I am doing a MSF the brake will block the motor.

How it is possible to open the brake without servo loop closed, so I can turn the motor by hand?

Thanks a lot!

When there is no risk of machine parts moving when the axis is disabled and the brake disengaged (a lift or something like that), you can control the brake with an auxiliary contactor. I've seen machines where the brakes are only engaged when the emergency stop circuit is tripped. Make sure to feed the brake contactor into your program and enable motion only when the brake is disengaged , otherwise you might experience position error faults or burned out brakes that are rendered useless (seen that as well ;))

I don't think that this is considered best practice but it's one way to deal with it.

Thanks for your replies. The brake is actually wired to the internal motor brake control of the Kinetix6500 drive system. So I think I will use the SSV instruction with the "MechanicalBrakeControl" attribute.

Thanks!