Siemens TIA Portal V13 EZMarquee Help

Nan

HI All,

I am having a problem to add EZMarquee in my TIA Portal v13 program. In Rslogix 5000, when I add EZmarquee, there will be Marquee:C, Marquee:I, Marquee:O, I can just copy the string which I want to display to Marquee:O.
But in the TIA PORTAL V13, when I add it in the devices&networks, it will let me choose the I/O(see attached pic). My question is where I can find the Marquee:O in TIA Portal? CPU is 317-2

Thanks everyone!

Capture.PNG

So you are total siemens newb?

You need to configure your device. I dont know anything about EZMarquee. But basically your "EZMarquee:O" is done with "OUTPUT: xy Byte", then it gets io addresses of form eg. %QW100, that you can add symbol to, depending on cpu you can add udt to that output area (that might go too far for you at this point). So, how long is the data area you are using?

depending on cpu you can add udt to that output area (that might go too far for you at this point).

FYI, this feature is not available on the 300 series CPUs. Nan mentioned he is using a 317.

The easiest way to transfer a block of memory to IO (like an array of characters) is to use SFC15, DPWR_DAT (in V13, this is under Extended Instructions -> Distributed IO -> Others).

Note that an array of CHAR is different than a String, because a string reserves the first byte for the maximum allowed/reserved length, and the second byte for the current string length.

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I am new to Siemens, I am sorry if my questions is naive. EZMarquee is a LED display for numbers and characters. I understand how Siemens I/O addressed, but is this 64 Byte output a digital output? I did not find it in the drawings..... If not, how can I use it in DPWR_DAT instruction? (address it)

Thank you very much!

From input select amount of data you want to write to your device.
For example you choose 64 output bytes and 2 input bytes. In device view in I address/Q address columns you should see data areas through which you will communicate to ezmarquee device. Something like 100..101 for input and 100..163 for output.
DPWR_DAT block inputs for sending data would be:
LADDR - W#16#64 (Hex 64 = 100 decimal start addres of output area)
RECORD for example P#DB1.DBX0.0 byte 64 (write 64 bytes from DB1 starting form byte 0 bit 0)

Thank you marcius! I have a couple of more questions. In the example LADDR - W#16#64, what is 16? Is it ok for me to use DPWR_DAT? Because I am trying to write changing value to the device.

W#16#64-> W Word data type, 16 - hexadecimal format.
Instead of W#16#64 you probably can input 100 :)
DPWR_DAT is block for consistent data writing, if you want to write larger data chunks (larger than 4 bytes) you need to use this block.

Thanks for the reply! If I want to write a string to the output EZMarquee, Can I just put the Tag(string) in RECORD? If the output address is 256....319, then LADDR will be W#16#100, right? Is there I,Q or M required in front of 100 like in the tag table? I appreciate for your help! Thank you very much!

Thanks for the reply! If I want to write a string to the output EZMarquee, Can I just put the Tag(string) in RECORD?
You can, but I dont't think this would be what you want. Your actual string starts at 3rd byte, 1st byte is max string length and 2nd byte is actual string lenght.

If the output address is 256....319, then LADDR will be W#16#100, right? Is there I,Q or M required in front of 100 like in the tag table? I appreciate for your help! Thank you very much!
W#16#100 for 256..319 is correct and no you don't need anything in front. Block is dealing with peripheral output that is why only starting address required and not data type.