Remote Access to a Control Logix System

Can anyone provide me with a solution to the following?

I have been asked to provide remote dial in access to a site 100 miles away from my office.

At the site there are six separate machines (they do not talk to one another). Each machine houses one AB ControlLogix 5550 PLC which is directly connected to one AB RAC6182.

Now. Heres the problem. Each PLC on every machine has the same IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.10) and each RAC6182 again has the same IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.11), so as you can imagine if they were all connected to the same network then we would have some IP clashes.

The only way I can see around this when it comes to accessing the PLC on a network is to add one extra Ethernet card to the plc rack on every machine and to give each card a different address, which would then allow me to look across the backplane for the processor. Would you agree??? I can then also directly connect the RAC6182 to the processor via a cross over cable.

Now the major problem for me is the network structure. I have no experience of networking. However I do know that it will not be possible to run cable around the plant as the distance and positioning of the machines will not permit. So I would like to find a wireless solution.

I would like to know if anyone has come across this same problem and if so how they dealt with it and whether you used wireless technology or not and if so what devices did you use (i.e. access point to the machine).

Hope the above makes sense to someone!!!!

It seems to me that you should be able to change the IP address of your PLCs to whatever you want. Since they are obiviously not connected to anything (all being the same, likely default address), it would'nt make much differance. I'm not familliar with AB but this issue should be covered somewhere in the docs. If your looking for an E-net modem for your dial in..you might be out of luck, as many have been obloseeted.

Mike.

Remote Access Modem

Check this link for a dial-in Enet modem.

AB Rmeote Access Enet Modem

You should be able to connect the dial-in modem to the uplink of a wireless router. Connect each system to the uplink of wireless routers and then connect the routers together over wireless. The routers will allow the existing IPs to stay as is. Some configuration of the routers will be required to let RSLinx see all the components. I would contact AB suport at 1-440-646-5800 to discuss the use of dial-in Enet modem with the wireless.

It seems you going about his in the opposite direction of most. Usually the network infrastructure is in place and wireless is added as a convenience. You are adding the wireless as the infrastructure.

Yes we are in a way going around this in the opposite trend. The case is that we are simply trying to get online to machines that were installed by someone else who will give us no support.

Unfortunately we cannot change any IP addresses as this will affect the PLC code which we are not aloud to change.

We have already found a modem (AB 9300 RADES Ethernet Modem) which should suffice.

Ok. Sorry I seem to keep missing some detail out.

We cannot change the IP addresses, because, If the company who installed the machines return to make a change then they will use the original IP addresses.

I know that normally there is a quick fix, however this job is very unique. Quick annoying aswell I may add.

The case is that we are simply trying to get online to machines that were installed by someone else who will give us no support.

We cannot change the IP addresses, because, If the company who installed the machines return to make a change then they will use the original IP addresses.

If they are unwilling to provide support then why worry about them comming back to make a change... :unsure:

I dont think you have a choice but to change the IP addresses, unless you use seperate modems and lines for each PLC. Changing the address is rather simple. Just write the new IP address on the PLC or enclosure for future reference.

With all due respect...By attempting to retain the current IP addresses your making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Regards, Mike

Put Modem on one of the CPU's RS-232 port. Network all processors using 1756-DHRIO cards. This is the simplest way to network your processors, C-net and D-net both require RSNetworx software.
ControlLogix system has capability to pass thru the RS-232 to the backplane and then to any processor on the DH+ network.

I agree with Mike that it would be best to break the "don't touch" rule and change the IP addresses of the controllers and the HMI's so that each is unique. I would be very surprised if a non-networked machine with just an EOI and a controller had any sort of hard-coded MSG instructions or configuration checking. I would rather butt heads with the OEM than try to go around them with bunches of hardware.

The absolute simplest technical solution is what Gareth suggests; use an additional 1756-ENBT module in each chassis and connect each one to a Wi-Fi router, and the dial-in modem to another Wi-Fi Access Point.

I have not set up WiFi networks where general-purpose WiFi routers are used as adapters, instead of PCMCIA, PCI, or USB adapters. I'm sure it can be done but I'm not familiar with it.

WiFi might not have the range for what you want in your facility; most WiFi signals can go about 100 meters. If you start getting into a big infrastructure of directional antennas, you will probably have to hire in an expert or do some quick learning on wireless infrastructure.

I got to thinking about how you would connect a single standalone ControlLogix to a WiFi network. When you connect a PC, you use a PCMCIA or PCI or USB "adapter".

What would be ideal for just the one Ethernet port on a 1756-ENBT ?

I have seen single-port Ethernet / WiFi adapters, but a visit to my local electronics store didn't show me any. What I did find was a "Game Adapter", that has a single Ethernet RJ45 jack, a power plug, and an antenna.

But there wasn't enough information on the box to make me buy one for playing with; just knowing that it works with XBox and PlayStation 2 doesn't reassure me.

Does anyone out there use such a thing ?

gareth.cantrill said:
Unfortunately we cannot change any IP addresses as this will affect the PLC code which we are not aloud to change.

Ok somebody help me understand this...

1) If the OEM wont support you, then why are you afraid to change the IP address?? or even the code?? :unsure:

2) How will changing the IP address, (a 10 second endever) effect the code? If the machines are not currently networked, (talking to each other), then there would be no IP reference for the other machines in the code?? Right?? :unsure: :unsure:

3) So you going to alter the machines by adding all kinds of hardware, that will likely require a configuration change etc.. So if simply changing the IP from the default is going to effect the relationship with the OEM (which you stated dosnt exist anyway), then why wont the changes your proposing also alter that OEM relationship? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I'm totally confused.....

The acronym PLC stands for Programable Logic Controller.. The entire purpose of a PLC is to provide flexability. Hence a non-propriatary - flexable control system that can be altered in the future without much fuss and cost. It dosnt make sense to treat it otherwise..

Good luck with it...Mike.

First, I got the same question as mike ^^^. 2nd, I don't know much about the RAC6182 but I assume it got spare PCMCIA slot.

Why not buy get some PCMCIA Wireless card for each RAC6182. Assign them whatever IP your heart desires. Some of the card can be hacked to put on an antenna like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-055&depa=5

then get one wireless router and you are set. I will leave the fun details for you to sort out. Now you are networked, but to get 'remote control' is a whole other can of worms.

--also, it's ok to have more than one network card in a PC.

If you want really LONG distance networking, Blackbox sells something call PRO 11 series stuff that goes for miles.

I like Harry's idea a lot !

I have a 6182 here on my desk and have been trying all afternoon to get it to work with an Orinoco wireless card. I will post my results when I'm done scratching my head. Windows CE stuff is not my strong suit.

Gareth; do you know the IP addresses of the 6182 and the SLC-5/05 ? It might help to know if they are routable.

late night update

It didn't take long to get an Orinoco WaveLAN card working with the 6182 computer, though there were a few wrinkles with the driver and client.

It's setting up Windows CE networking, as a novice, that is proving to be quite a challenge. Would it be too much to ask to have "netsh" or "regedit" in the operating system ?