1784 PCMK series A

Derick1

Hi
I just purchased a 1784 PCMK series A card and 1784 PCM5 cable. The PLC 5 processor I want to communicate with has a round 9 pin connector. I have a D shell to round 9 pin adapter CP7 adapter for the PCM5 cable. When I attempt to connect to the PLC 5 comm port A the Green status LED about the channel comm port starts flashing red. Can a 1784 PCMK series A card with a 1784 PCM5 cable and CP7 adapter connect to a PLC 5 with the round 9 pin connection or must I buy a 1784 PCMK series B card and a 1784 PCM6/B cable? Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
Derick

Last edited:
Hi Derick.

Yes, the 9-pin D-shell to 8-pin mini-DIN converter can be used for that purpose.

That you have purchased it recently sounds like it is second hand.
Have you tried with another PLC ? To see if the PCMK card is working.

Have you tried changing the PCs node address ?
Have you tried changing the PCs baudrate ?
(actually, I am not sure if there is an allreay working DH+ network, and a node with the wrong node address or baudrate is trying to connect, that the working DH+ network will be interrupted).

The problem may be electrical. Either use the same power supply for the PLC and your laptop, and if that is not possible try to run the laptop on batteries only. Just to see if this is causing the problems.

Lastly, are you sure that the PLC5 port in question hasn't been setup for RIO ?

EDIT:
arrrgh. Double posting ! I just hate when that happens.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30069

Last edited:
1784-pcmk

I recall that the 1784-PCMK comes with a utilities diskette in order to function properly.

Have you installed this utility?Just a reminder.

Peace
Hagos

Hi JesperMP

I apoligize for the double posting. I am not sure how I did it except when I edited my first post the orginal was already posted. I am a new member again my apologies.
I am glad that using the 9 pin to 8 pin mini DIN 1784 CP7 mini pin adapter should work.
I don't know if the PCMK card I bought is working. I bought it used on ebay and the seller said it was fully functional.
I will try changing the PC node address. I see looking at the program offline that both the PLC 5 and the pc setup use Node 0. Also channel 1A is set for DH+.
I know that channel 1A works because my supervisor has a 1784 PCMK/B with a 1784 PCM6/B cable and he can connect to channel 1A. I will check what node address he has his laptop set to. Is it safe to assume that node 66 would be unused?
Thanks for your reply

I and I have been told by many others that station 77 is usually a safe number to select for a portable computer. Most configurations I have seen reserve this node for programming.

Marc

Derick1 said:
I apoligize for the double posting.
Well, it can happen. It is just so frustrating to have the same topic discussed and answered in parallel threads.
But now that we have started two threads, lets merrily continue.

Node 66 is not a 100% safe bet, only a pretty good one.
Your supervisor should be able to see which nodes are on the network (with RSWho in RSLinx) and tell you which ones are free. Or if he is not online at the same time, use the same node number as him.
For reasons only known to those responsible, some people in my company use 77 for their PLCs. So you cannot assume that this node is free.

In the other thread, Ken Roach said that the PCMK A card doesnt support 230 kBaud. That does not sound good for your chances of getting online.