Going online 5/04 via Rs232 :( HELP!

MGuenette

hi,

I have been looking for the last 4 hours without any solution why I'm not able to go online on SLC5/04 via serial cable.

I have a plc rack in my office. I tried with a 5/03 and it works at the first time.

I'm just not able with the 5/04. I reseted to default the 5/04 (now the fault led is flashing, DH+ flashing sometime) and I'm still not able to see it in RSLINX!!!

It stucks at Testing Mode CRC

I really need help!!
Thanks

Last edited:
G'Day,
I think the 5/04 defaults to DH485 on the user channel - you will need a 1747 UIC device to get on line - You could be able to set up the 1747 PIC/AIC driver in RSLinx and go direct using your serial cable (you dont need the PIC), but this may not be supported in Windows XP - But you could try it anyway

Cheers Macca

if you actually did reset it all the way to the "out of the box" factory defaults, then the DF1 AutoConfigure feature "should" work ... especially if AutoConfigure works on an SLC-5/03 with the same cable and computer serial connection ...

make sure that there's no EEPROM installed that's automatically "downloading" a program with "non-default" communications settings ...

just a hunch: sometimes when it "hangs up" the way you described, it helps to delete the DF1 driver completely - shut down and then restart RSLinx - and then add the DF1 driver back in again ...

this worked for me regarding a serial port configured as 485 on a windows xp machine.,

connect your null modem db9 cable to the processor. Go into the configure driver section of rslinx and stop, then delete any serial driver that is listed. Go to add new and then select the 1747-pic/aic driver. You shouldn’t have to do any configuration of the driver, just leave it to the default settings. Open up the logic and go to the system comms in rslogix 500 and then hit the plus to drill down the devices on the pic/aic driver. You will then see the processor and a plus next to it. Do not drill down on the processor, just hit the go online button on the right side of the screen. It will not work if you drill

I'll try all of yur solutions maybe tomorrow morning or on monday morning.

I'll let you know

Thanks guys...your quick replys are really appreciated.

I realize this is a little more under-the-hood than you want, but it might be instructive to others.

The way the "Auto-Configure" function in the DF1 Full Duplex driver works is that it sends out a very simple "Echo" request on the port at different baud rates with different framing (data bits, parity, stop bits).

The Echo request is only two bytes: "10 05".
The reply to Echo is only two bytes: "10 06".

If there is a DF1 device connected to the port, eventually the Auto-Configure function hits on the correct baud rate and framing and an understandable Echo reply comes back.

Next, the Auto-Configure function needs to figure out if the device is using BCC or CRC error checking. So it sends out a Diagnostic Status request message with a CRC error check.

If the device responds with a CRC error check, fine, it's a CRC user. If not, RSLinx Auto-Configure sends out a Diagnostic Status request message with a BCC error check.

If the message comes back with a BCC error check, then Auto-Configure knows the device is using BCC.

The Diagnostic Status message has the additional benefit of including the device type, so RSLinx knows if it is connected to a SLC, a 1747-KE, a 1770-KF2, a PLC-5, or a Logix.

So what does this mean for our friend MGuenette and his uncharacteristically hushed SLC-5/04 ?

Because he's been able to default the controller, I don't think the serial port is set for DH485 or ASCII protocol.

Because the RSLinx DF1 "Auto-Configure" feature stalls on "Testing Mode: CRC", I think that the SLC-5/04 is able to barely squeak out an "Echo reply" but does not reply when it gets a "Diagnostic Status Request".

If you can monitor the serial traffic between RSLinx and the SLC, you can find out if it's answering at all. This will let you know if the problem is on the software side or the SLC side.

I like HHD Software's Serial Monitor (you can get the trial version) for this kind of PC-to-device monitoring, and I really like the Stratus Engineering EZ-Tap.

With HHD Serial Monitor, you can see the format of the Diagnostic Request better, but the EZ-View software that comes with the EZ-Tap was able to show me the 7-millisecond time between Echo and Response.

I think this controller has failed, and the operating system can't boot enough to reply to these communication requests. It's also possible that the Channel 0 serial port is the only failed part, and that it might be connectable over DH+, but that's a different test.

Hi guys,

I finally reseted the PLC during 2 minutes and tried to set the comm......and it's working now...

I really dont know why, but I have just hold my screw driver 2 inutes instead of 1.

thanks
Martin.

this worked for me regarding a serial port configured as 485 on a windows xp machine.
You will then see the processor and a plus next to it.
That is, if you are lucky you will see the processor listed on the RSLinx screen. Usually the problem is that the processor does not show up because you are not yet communicating with it.

I helped an electrician set up a SLC 5/04 last week, on DH+. Previously he had not been able to get it online. There was not a program in this PLC (it had be deleted to the default blank line). The port LED showed a blinking green light (not communicating). Once we got the cables connected correctly, the LED changed to solid green, but RSLinx still did not show the SLC 5/04.

At that point I deleted the driver and reloaded it. Still the SLC did not show up in RSLinx. Next step was to restart the computer (Windows 98). Still nothing. The next step was to stop RSLinx from "auto-browsing", then restart it browsing. I did that about 2 times. Bingo! Now RSLinx showed a SLC 5/04 with a fault--I/O in default program did not match the actual I/O. Then I configured the I/O and downloaded the new program.

I conclude that there is no magic method to establish communications that will work every time. It depends on the situation and takes a certain amount of the trial-and-error method.

Last edited: