ASCII escape characters in string file?

JHarris

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a SLC 5/04 and a device that accepts ASCII commands. The commands use escape codes (such as ESC + STX + A). I'd like to save the seven possible commands in a string file for use, though I don't see a way to enter the escape codes. If I open a string file, I can't switch the radix to hex or dec.

Example: I'd like to store the ASCII equivalent of hex 1B0241 in a string file.

I can enter the codes in an ASCII data file, though the transmit functions apparently require string data type. I guess either a way to manually enter the codes (in string data file) or some logic to do ASCII->STR conversion is what I need. Did I miss an instruction to do this?

Thanks

Try this

Referring to an ASCII chart, insert a caret (Shift+6) in front of the desired special character equivalent. Using "^M^J" will send a CR and a LF.

This works for everything except Ascii ESC, FS, GS, etc.

Entering ^A for example in the string data file shows length 1. When I try the escape character ^[ RS Logix 500 enters a backslash automatically (shows string length of 2) showing \^[

any ideas?

Thanks Doug

Solution Found

Found the answer, posted a while back. Surprised I didn't find this on my search earlier:

I don't know about MicroLogix, but in CompactLogix you can enter non-printable characters bij entering a dollarsign followed by a two-digit hexadecimal number, eg. $0A for linefeed, $0D for newline and $1B for escape.

If you're using an SLC, you can do the same by entering a backslash followed by the hex code: \0A, \0D and \1B.

Using the \hex has worked for everything and using the carat works for most characters.

Thanks again.

Justin