PLC connection with VB.NET ??

Inferno

Hello all,

I'm a last year student and must make a final work.
I must make a sort of PLC test program to test the digital and
analog in -and outputs of the PLC. There was first an excisting
VB6 program to establish the connection. But i have to convert
it to VB.NET.
But i can't find a way to establish the connection.
Does anyone have a sample program to do this or something else ?
Or is it impossible to have an connection with VB.NET and the PLC.
We use the Siemens S7-300 series and have a connection with profibus.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance !

Greetz

Connect to PLC with ActiveX component

One common way for VB6 to interface with a PLC is with a 3rd-party driver (either serial or Ethernet). The driver is typically an .ocx component that is dropped onto a form of the VB program. (You have to make this component available to your program by selecting its file from the Project\Components menu.) It has necessary procedures to log on to the PLC, and it has the ability to exchange data values with registers in the PLC.

If you have available to you the VB6 .vbp files, you might look for such a component, perhaps on the main form. If all you have is the Deployment package, you might find the .ocx file in the Support folder.

Once you locate the PLC driver .ocx, you can try dropping it onto a form in your VB.Net program... .NET will construct a wrapper for you that may allow it to work just like it did in the VB6 program.

Last edited:
It also depends on the type of driver it is. Microsoft dropped support for both DDE and OPC in .NET. So if the driver uses either of these connection methods, it will require an additional piece of software to allow this connection to take place.

hi there,
I am vihar and also a final yr student and also making the same kind of stuff u did. I am making microcontroller based PLC and interfacing it with the PC so would u plz help me in making that.

thank u.

hi there,
I am vihar and also a final yr student and also making the same kind of stuff u did. I am making microcontroller based PLC and interfacing it with the PC so would u plz help me in making that.

thank u.

Vb.net connection to PLC

I have also the same problem.If somebody has answer pls reply me.

thankx