step 7 V 5.5 and WIN CC training

busta9

I have only ever had to work with rockwell software and I have 0 experience with siemens software. The place I work at now has seimens software but I have to minimize the winn cc runtime on the operator station computer and try to learn seimens while the machine is running out on the floor.

This is nerve racking as I am worried about doing something by accident that I do now know how to recover from. At this point I do not even know how to open a program or save a program.

Id like to have the software on my laptop and a spare CPU(we have in stock) to practice with offline but that appears to be very expensive as well. Is there a cheaper way to do this? We have all the software disks but I assume the licenses are only good for the computer they are installed on at the line.

What is the best to get hands on training with Seimens step 7 version 5.5 and win cc?

Training courses from seimens in canada are very expensive but are they worth it? Has anyone ever taken them? Is there alternatives?

should I just take my balls out of my purse and learn on the floor with what I have access to?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

You are probably correct to be nervous about playing with it on a live system.

Most Siemens configuration software installs with a trial license, usually good for a couple weeks. The runtime software usually has a nag window if the needed license isn't in place.

You're probably fine to take the discs and install on a different computer to get your feet wet. Might want to doublecheck with a manager though, to be sure. I've heard of companies who have site/volume licensing in place, and the licenses work differently from normal.

In my experience, the value of training is much more dependent on the actual teacher than anything else. Siemens has standard training classes & kits that they use across the world. I imagine the material is useful, but I can't say i've taken too many. The teacher... some are great, some are less good. It really depends how much they know automation compared to merely knowing how to present the material in the book.

If you want to take a course but don't want to take it from Siemens, a local distributor (or maybe a tech school) may have courses as well.

In AB-world, as you probably know, there are several ways of being able to use the license across multiple machines. To take the example of an FTView SE terminal with RSLogix in the background - if you were to install RSLogix on your own laptop, you could in theory use the license from the FTView PC to open your copy of RSLogix, as long as the FTView PC didn't already have RSLogix open. You could do this using a dongle, or a common activation server, or by borrowing the license from the FTView terminal. Of course, there are caveats and workarounds and grace periods and yada yada, but the concept is there.

When it comes to Siemens, I don't know if you can do similar tricks with borrowing licenses or using activation servers, but I'd suggest it's worth looking into. My Siemens stuff uses a license that is infinitely transferable using a memory stick. Drag the Step 7 license from the SCADA terminal's hard drive onto a memory stick and plug it into your laptop. If they all of a sudden need Step 7 on the plant floor, run back out there with the USB and plug it back in - no harm done. Disclaimer: I'm new enough to Siemens that I can't say for sure whether the licensing has always had the same philosophy, or whether yours would be as simple as I've described above. But definitely worth a look.

In any case, if it were me, I'd go ahead and install the software, and then see what options you have for "borrowing" the license