Phase rotation and motor rotation testers

leitmotif

Just started using a new instrument (OK new to me). Unit comprising of a phase rotation tester (NOT new been doing those since 67) AND a motor rotation indicator. Unit I was introduced to is make by Ideal.

Guess I still tend to operate in dark ages. Used to hooking motor starting and then change two leads to reverse.

Anyway the whole setup is so obvious and easy I am tending to make it difficult (cant teach old dog ???).
PROCEDURE
with phase rotation tester check phase rotation and change leads to get CW or CCW. Remember color sequence.
THEN
on motor hook up other unit turn motor in desired direction ie CW or CCW (viewed from bell end) change leads (if needed) for color sequence above and you got it.

For some wierd reason my mind just cannot get around it and I gotta intentionally think it thru each and every time.

I keep wondering though as simple as it is (or appears to be) is there some way to screw this up??

Dan Bentler

Rotation

We use a phase rotation meter. Hook it up colour to colour on the hot side of the mag and turn on the breaker. Clockwise is OK. The problem is when each MCC or MCC bucket, isnt wired the same rotation. The motor rotation meter is a good idea, but they tend to get blown up as the odd person refuses to read the meter type. (ouch).. If the MCCs are wired all the same...red,black,blue then the motor rotation meter is best and easiest. It takes a lot of planning to get each MCC and MCC bucket the same. We are slowly getting ours fixed up. Such fun...:)