Logix 5000 versions since studio

strantor

Been quite a while since I had to deal with Logix 5000, back then there was no Studio, it was just RSLogix5000, and IIRC you had to have each and every version installed for each and every version of processor; they were were not backwards compatible. For example if you had version 18, you could not program a version 16 PLC. You would need to re-buy the same software, in version 16, if you wanted to program that PLC. Is my memory correct?

How is it now with the new Studio software? If I have a PLC version 24 and I purchase Studio software version 28, will I be able to program that PLC? Or do I need to purchase exactly version 24 software?

I'm not exactly sure if you need to pay for every revision, I downloaded and installed revision 30 in addition to the previous revisions I already had a few weeks ago without having to do anything, but it's also possible that my activation allowed for it already.

In case you didn't know, Studio is for revisions 21 and up, RSLogix 5000 is still used for revisions 20 and below.

The Studio 5K purchased license will activate any installed RSL5K or Studio 5K versions.

Even if you purchased Studio 5K v.28, using the same Serial Number and Activation Key you should be able to download Studio 5K v.24 install package from download.rockwellautomation.com.

If your PLC is v24, you would need to have v24 Studio 5000 installed on your PC.

My understanding is if you purchase a new copy of Studio 5000, you get the latest version (31 or 32?) and any versions below that you need. You would need to download those from Rockwell.

Yes they are and probably will do so unless planning to lose market share.

The 'leased/subscribed' software market is growing, however, it will probably never completely replace ownership.

Are they still selling licenses currently? I thought everything now is yearly subscription.

I am strongly opposed to the concept of perpetual leasing of [fill in the blank]; I much prefer to own things. Even abstract things like software. The checkout process on the Rockwell website seems carefully constructed to inflict the maximum possible butthurt on me others like me. Yes, they give you the option to purchase the software outright (for a predictably astronomical price), but they still tack on on year of some yearly subscription for tech support that you can't opt out of. At the checkout screen they show it itemized, rubbing it in your face that you're paying >$1500 extra for this service you don't intend to use, and have the audacity to put a little note "included in price." No, it's not included; it's forced. They have a little compare/contrast cutsheet of ownership vs. subscription, where they outline all the nitpicky little jabs they intend to inflict on you for being dense enough to want to purchase their product.

"We would like to direct your attention to the right-hand column which lists all the features this software offers to our customers who sign up for indentured servitude (our favorite customers), and then contrast that with the left hand column where we intentionally remove most of those features to punish the customers who we hate. Not all customers are created equal."

Software Entitlement Check

This technote outlines the necessary steps...

635512 - Studio 5000 Software: Download Older Versions of Software
Access Level: Everyone

Note the second "Problem" listed...

My Studio 5000 is in support but I can only download the latest version.

It is my understanding that any product serial numbers, which are not included within a TechConnect Contract, and hence not "in support", will not be eligible for "Software Maintenance" i.e. download software updates. Can someone confirm whether or not they can access and download all versions of RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 using their serial number, etc., with no TechConnect Contract in place?

This technote describes the availability of Software Maintenance for all TechConnect Contracts...

526586 - Did You Know Your TechConnect Agreement Includes Software Maintenance
Access Level: Everyone

I believe that without TechConnect you are only entitled to download again the same version you purchased?

Pending the above...

This specific link will take you directly to the Software Entitlement Check webpage where you enter your current product serial number and optional matching criteria (Product Key, Company Name, etc.)...

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

You may also be asked to login using your Rockwell Automation user credentials (free to setup account).

The default product shown will be the latest version. Currently, this can be changed, using the version drop down list, and any version of Studio 5000 back to v21 may be selected. You may also select RSLogix 5000 v 20 or v16 at their latest releases.

If you require other older versions back as far as v10, then you must change the product type in the "Change product shown above here" field.

Example:

Default is: *9324-RLD700NXENE - Studio 5000 PRO EN *Latest

Change to: *9324-RLD700NXENE - Studio 5000 Professional Edition ESD S/W

Note: ESD = Electronic Software Delivery

Did you know?...

Products ending in E (ENE) means the ESD (download) option is being ordered. ENM means media version is being ordered.

The above change will update the version selection drop down list to include all other versions not originally included, back as far as v10, and additionally includes one v8 release.

If anyone (with TechConnect) requires older pre v10 versions, then see here (this technote is linked from within the one above)...

731500 - RSLogix 5000: How to Download Older Pre v10 Versions
Access Level: TechConnect

A link within that technote will take you to a single download file for all versions prior to v10...

RSLogix5000 v1.10
RSLogix5000 v1.23
RSLogix5000 v2.10
RSLogix5000 v2.15
RSLogix5000 v2.25
RSLogix5000 v2.27
RSLogix5000 v2.51
RSLogix5000 v5.02
RSLogix5000 v6.01
RSLogix5000 v7.02
RSLogix5000 v8.02
RSLogix5000 v8.52
RSLogix5000 v9.00

But I'm still very curious to know if out of contract users can download each and every version (newer or older) than the version they purchased? I have never been out of contract, so I cannot say. It's just been my understanding of the above all along.

I'll be very happy for many people if it proves to be possible. But I'm also dreading the impending Rockwell bashing that might ensue, if not?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's started already...

Regards,
George

Last edited:
But I'm still very curious to know if out of contract users can download each and every version (newer or older) than the version they purchased?

I thought that without a Tech Connect contract you can't download anything (regardless if you've already purchased) because that part of the site (like the knowledgebase) is unavailable.

I thought that without a Tech Connect contract you can't download anything (regardless if you've already purchased) because that part of the site (like the knowledgebase) is unavailable.

I am fairly certain that you just have to have a Rockwell Automation Account to access the product and compatibility center, which is where you go for downloading software. You do not have to have a techconnect account to set that up, just register online. I could be mistaken though. Everyone can access the knowledgebase as well, there are just certain articles that are only available to contract members.

George, without a valid TechConnect contract the buyers (owners) of any RSL5K/Studio5K version are entitled to download any newer minor version of the originally purchased major one and (almost) all the previously released major versions.

We have purchased v32.00 last summer and, without an active TechConnect contract, we are currently able to download RSL5K/Studio5K v.10.07 through v.32.02.

JBooth said:
I am fairly certain that you just have to have a Rockwell Automation Account to access the product and compatibility center, which is where you go for downloading software. You do not have to have a techconnect account to set that up, just register online. I could be mistaken though. Everyone can access the knowledgebase as well, there are just certain articles that are only available to contract members.

Yes, access to the download webpages, PCDC, etc., are all available in general. We can all access the Software Entitlement Check webpage, for instance. That is not in dispute or being asked here. What I am asking is who among us can use a serial number, not under a TechConnect Contract, to download any version (edited for BlueAltezza sake) of this software?

G.

dmargineau said:
George, without a valid TechConnect contract the buyers (owners) of any RSL5K/Studio5K version are entitled to download any newer minor version of the originally purchased major one and (almost) all the previously released major versions.

We have purchased v32.00 last summer and, without an active TechConnect contract, we are currently able to download RSL5K/Studio5K v.10.07 through v.32.02.

Excellent! Thank you for the confirmation. The TechConnect "Software Maintenance" option, and its description of including "software updates", seems a little confusing so?

G.

Why I'm hazy is because I remember they included the older version on CD with the newer versions (some years ago). But since we went to ESD downloads in the main (circa 2016) it has become less clear, to me, what the options are. The Software Maintenance just had me thinking as described above.

So I'm not special, after all?

G.