How to backup GE Fanuc 90-30?

Chemi

Hi all,

I have never been involved in PLCs before. I would like to ask if someone could explain to me step by step how to create a backup file from PLC to PC? At our company, we have GE Fanuc 90-30 with CPU 350. I found that first, we need to buy*cable IC690ACC901. Then do we need to buy*the Proficy Machine? which version would be the cheapest for just backup? When we will have cable and software is it hard do download the backup file from PLC to PC? I tried to google it but really would appreciate if someone*could give me step by step instructions or guide me to the correct source with information.*

Any help appreciated. Thank you in*advance.

You are correct about the cable. You will also need a USB/serial converter unless you will be running Proficy Machine Edition on a PC that has a real COM port. The cable connects to the 15-pin port on the power supply module to the left of the CPU module.
There is a version of Proficy Machine Edition that includes support for the 90-30 that is less expensive than the version that covers the entire range of PLC models.
Once you have the software and cables, you will need to create a new 90-30 project using Proficy. Then go online with the PLC and extract the program and hardware configuration from the PLC to the PC. That's the process you called downloading, but Proficy calls uploading.

If you could obtain an offline copy of the PLC program, you would be better off.

The 90-30 does not store comment text or variable nicknames and descriptions.
If you upload from the PLC, you will have the logic, but will be missing some potential key information.

FWIW, the 90-30 is obsolete. It is somewhat easily replaced by the newer Rx3i.
With that in mind, I would advise you to get a version of Proficy Machine Edition that also supports the Rx3i platform.

You are correct about the cable. You will also need a USB/serial converter unless you will be running Proficy Machine Edition on a PC that has a real COM port. The cable connects to the 15-pin port on the power supply module to the left of the CPU module.
There is a version of Proficy Machine Edition that includes support for the 90-30 that is less expensive than the version that covers the entire range of PLC models.
Once you have the software and cables, you will need to create a new 90-30 project using Proficy. Then go online with the PLC and extract the program and hardware configuration from the PLC to the PC. That's the process you called downloading, but Proficy calls uploading.
Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for that.