how to connect a PLC to an optocoupler

Sean Vyar

Hello,
I have little knowledge about PLC and optocoupler.
I have to connect a Mitsubishi PLC to an optocoupler then to a UCN5804 IC that controls a stepper motor.
But, I do not not know how to choose the optocoupler then how to connect it to my PLC.
If anyone can help me that would be great.
Thank You.

Your PLC output must be transistor type (other output types simply won't handle the speed reguirement to generate pulse trains).
You will have to use resistor in series with input (LED side)
of your optocoupler to get proper current.
Usually 10mA will do, so (24V-2V)/0.01A=2200 Ohm. To be on the safe
side, take 1/2W resistor so it can handle even continuous duty
(might be helpfull during debugging).
The transistor side is usually NPN transistor and it should be wired
with collector to V+, and emiter to the V-. One of those two will
have to have load resistor of course (try 1k). Emiter is the terminal
that has arrow. Base is is usually left free but you can bias it
if needed. Make sure that optocoupler rating is ok.