Remote I/O Flex I/O Quick Change Tooling Fixture

TamHoNutech

I have an application where I need a system for a quick change tooling fixture application going into a robotic welding cell (Hot Plug and Play). The application requires using Remote I/O with Flex I/O modules attached on each tooling. Each tooling will have their own Remote I/O (RIO) adaptor module and Flex I/O (FIO) modules in an enclosure which is then connected back to a SLC 5/04.

The welding cell is already existing and running with other tooling fixtures. Eventually there will be other tooling fixtures that will have to go into the same weld cell for running different parts. Within the FIO modules on each individual tooling fixture, there will be a dedicated input module strictly used for telling the PLC which tool is connected. Essentially having a plug and play system without the need for reconfiguring anything.

My question is, if the PLC has been configured for a 1/2 rack system, will it cause communication errors if a different tooling fixture with a different number of Flex I/O modules was connected? I.e. tooling-A, 4input mods, 3output mods. and tooling B, 3input mods, 2output mods, tooling-C, 4input, 4output...etc.

I can't see this being a problem if we attach a tooling within the limits of a 1/2 rack system with the I/O configuration G-Data set to the max I/O points. My only concern is that the RIO scanner module will try to look for the missing Flex I/O modules and cause a communication error.

On a related issue, let's say that there are no errors in communication. Each tooling will have to use the same I/O addresses. Within RSLogix500, the PLC program will read the physical addresses as generic addresses. Each tooling would be seperated in a different subroutine and depending on the code key read from the dedicated input module, the program will disable the subroutines not being used. The problem is if the addresses are generic within Logix, how would you comment them?

I have an idea but was wondering if anybody had a better solution. For arguments sake, say I:1.16/00 is one of the generic physical addresses. If tooling-A is connected, then the program will copy the status of I:1.16/00 to B16.0 which can then be commented any way you like. If tooling-B connected, I:1.16/00 to B24.0 and tooling-C, I:1.16/00 to B32.0...etc.

Please let me know what your expert thoughts are.
You help is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Tam

Hey might be able to help you out.

first why would you mount really expensive flex io modules on every fixture? this will cost thousands of dollars and with every new fixture even more money. We mount a main panel on the center of
our table with our flex io modules housed in that. from that we
wire our i/o to quick connect harting plugs. same with our valve banks. one bank per side all plumbed into quick connect festo plugs. This way you do not need to worry about messing with your rack size..it will always stay the same. plug a fixture in and using binary code you can bit map all your inputs to different b files on you slc. We must have 18 nut welders that i use this on. We have 60 different jobs that are able to run on them all just quick connect everything. Would you rather put flex io in 18 nut welders or on the fixtures of 60 different jobs. Same with robotic cells. The cell is not going anywhere keep the flex io part of the table and just plug the fixtures into it. I have my plant set up so i can plug any fixture into any robot cell and it will weld no problem jumps into the program automatically.
[email protected] if you want to talk more