Siemens Profibus To Micromaster 440

jimdi4

Hello,

I will be controlling two Siemens MicroMaster 440 VFD's through profibus.

Does anyone have any sample ladder logic or can point me to a Siemens manual that shows how to start and stop the Siemens MicroMaster 440 VFD?

I know that the drive has a control word but I don't know how the control word is handle in the pLC (S7300). I am writing the program in ladder.(per cust req)

I have started and stopped drives using Allen Bradley PLC's with DeviceNet, but Siemens with Profibus is new to me.

Is Siemens with profibus like Allen Bradley's Devicenet?

I have the Micromaster 440 drive book and I know how the Control word for the drive is set up, (bit00 = on/off) (bit01 = Electrical stop) (Bit03=Pulse enable) but I don't know how the PLC program addresses the drives control word. (Address and function)

Thanks in advance...

Hello, Jimdi4;
I suggest you download a manual from the Siemens website (www4.ad.siemens.de) called "Profibus communications with CB15/CB155 communication module". Do not concern yourself with the hardware part of the manual, but study chapter 5, "Commisionning". It describes PPOx comm. structure, access to control words 1 and 2, and parameter changing (this is where you will need SFC 14 and 15, as you will write a consistent telegram of 4 words).
The ID number of the manual is 7052355 (it makes search easier on the Siemens website).

Here is a simple explanation :
Let's say you choose to install your drive in Step 7 as a PPO3 (no PKW (parameter zone), only 2 PZD (process data)), and Step7 HWConfig allows addresses 256-259 in your I/O configuration.
This means Control word 1 (for binary input control of the drive, start, stop, jog, rotation)is avalable as PQW256 (for writing), and PIW 256 (for status reading)
Control Word 2 (speed setpoint) is available as PQW 258 (for writing) and PIW 258 (for reading).

Start with setting the speed setpoint (before starting). To set the speed setpoint, write (MOVE) the hex value 4000 to address PQW258 (Control Word 2); the drive will run at 100% of the max. parametrized speed, once you start it through Control Word 1. A hex value of 2000 will make it run at 50% of the max. parametrized speed; a hex value of 1000 will make it run at 25%.... play around with the numerical value and see what happens to the drive speed, once it is started. You can change the speed setpoint at any time you need to.

To actually start and stop the drive, you must set Control word 1. In the document I suggested, there is an explanation of each bit in that word. But for starters, write a hex value of 047E to PQW 256, then write 047F to the same address (there must be a rising edge on bit 0 of the Control word 1 for the drive to respond): the drive should start and ramp up to the speed setpoint you selected in Control Word 2. Now write 447E to the same address: the drive should reverse the rotation of the motor.
Writing (hex)047E or 447E to PQW 256 will stop the drive; writing 0 to PQW 258 will also stop it (speed reference = 0%).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks that helped allot!

I will try to download that book you refered to as well.

I cannot test this because we contracted the job just to do the programming and drawings and MMI (WinCC) and thats the end of our scope.

I may have to get a drive to test somehow.

(the job is going across the pond)

Last edited:
if you want to let me have a contact email , I could send you the block - if you can't produce a project and a hardware config and have the drive doing what you want in 30 mins- give up programming.

I have problem of controlling siemens PLC S7300 I/O from HMI like siemens touch screen developed in WINCC. anyone have complete project for controlling I/O from HMI???

problem with Siemens micromaster-profibus

I have a FC in step7 which control siemens MICROMASTER speed via PROFIBUS. The function works fine, but sometimes on the display of MM4 I see the reference blinking, and when it disappear, a "0" appear (I hope you will understand...). In this moments the motor doesn't move,and I don't understand why: It has the abilitation, there are not emergencies and the reference is correct... What's the meaning of this visualization? thanks

but when does it go in locked mode? can I control this Locked Mode via software?

I hope you are not giving start signal at the power up point itself.
To start the VFD, the start signal must be given after a delay say 10sec (this is to power up the VFD and to settle in standby mode.)

VFD will recognize start signal only if it see a rising input to the "terminal-5" and then it should be sustains

rgds,
RBM

When you ack after a trip(fault) with the ON signal present, you will get LOCKOUT. Must be reset with ON->OFF1. You will find the description in the profi manual which was enclosed with the interface module.

Kalle