Faulted MicroLogix 1000

codedRed

Hey new to the forum, appreciate you doing what you do!

I have a MicroLogix 1000 on the floor at our plant. What's happening intermittently (every few days) is that it'll fault with

"Major Error Halt S:1/13" = 1
and also
"Retentive Data Lost S:5/8" = 1

I can not clear this fault without actually setting the values to 0 and am unsure which fault is the real culprit.

That is common among the Micrologix 1000s. Best to get a plan together on replacing it.
You could easily upgrade to the Micro800 series for instance.

That is common among the Micrologix 1000s. Best to get a plan together on replacing it.
You could easily upgrade to the Micro800 series for instance.

That's what I was told but why does it happen with the ML1000? I know that it could be the hardware, but I don't understand what is causing the issue

Thanks

Age and the use of EPROM memory. They can only do so many writes/reads before they are junk. I have one at our plant doing to same thing and working on replacing it. Just started Monday as a matter of fact.

In this situation, you need not worry why it failed. So many other pleasures in life that require your attention than this cheeky Micrologix1000. ;)

when faulted are you able to look at Status File under Fault Tab
to see what caused error?

See post #5

Check you grounding for the PLC. I've heard that's an issue but haven't been hit by it yet with these.

The MicroLogix 1000 controllers don't have an onboard battery to back up their data table contents. Instead, a capacitor runs the logic board for a fraction of a second to save the data into a nonvolatile flash memory chip. It doesn't take very long (the controllers only have 1K of program memory) or take much power.

But these controllers, like any other controller, can get hit with voltage spikes that can scramble their memories. Missing or degraded inductive load kickback suppressors, or degraded or missing or insufficient ground cables are the most common reasons.

Or, the controller can just get worn out. In the mid-1990s the flash devices that were available were good for about 100,000 write cycles. Its uncommon but possible for a machine to cycle power that many times in its life.

When I encounter a MicroLogix that's giving those error codes, I check all the outputs for inductive suppressors, and remove and re-seat / re-bond all the grounding. And if that doesn't solve the problem, I replace the processor.

In most cases a MicroLogix 1100 controller will easily replace a MicroLogix 1000.

The MicroLogix 1000 controllers don't have an onboard battery to back up their data table contents. Instead, a capacitor runs the logic board for a fraction of a second to save the data into a nonvolatile flash memory chip. It doesn't take very long (the controllers only have 1K of program memory) or take much power.

But these controllers, like any other controller, can get hit with voltage spikes that can scramble their memories. Missing or degraded inductive load kickback suppressors, or degraded or missing or insufficient ground cables are the most common reasons.

Or, the controller can just get worn out. In the mid-1990s the flash devices that were available were good for about 100,000 write cycles. Its uncommon but possible for a machine to cycle power that many times in its life.

When I encounter a MicroLogix that's giving those error codes, I check all the outputs for inductive suppressors, and remove and re-seat / re-bond all the grounding. And if that doesn't solve the problem, I replace the processor.

In most cases a MicroLogix 1100 controller will easily replace a MicroLogix 1000.

Thanks for the thorough reply, I really do appreciate it.

One thing I have always done with the ML1000, is to put varisters on the AC output load. I would get these same faults and errors until I started protecting the output load from collapsing electrical field. The ML1000 was very sensitive to electrical noise.

I would go with what Ken suggested if it is within budget.

Hope this helps.