RSLogix tags to Factory Talk

ivannn

Hello,
I am trying to get the tags from an RSLogix 5000 program to FactoryTalk View Studio. I have already added the Device Shortcuts and the and selected the Design (Local) path. When I try to add a button to a Display and set the tags under the connections tab of the Button Properties window, the tags do not show up in the tag browser. I tried refreshing all folders, restarting the program and even readding everything. I do not know what else to try or if i missed any steps. I hope you can help and appreciate any feedback because I am new at this. Thanks in advance for the help.

Did you Verify your Shortcut path? Is it assigned to a Logix Device.
You also can setup an Offline Project File as long as it is located on your local hard drive and get tag info from there. Browse to your .ACD and select.

And last of all when all else fails with FTVME reboot the PC.

Yes thanks you. I have set up an offline file and restarted computer a few times. No tags show up in the folders.

In the Tag Browser window does your shortcut appear? Do you see Online and Offline underneath that shortcut? What happens if you click the "+" symbol next to these folders?

Verify your shortcut is setup correctly. In RSLinx Enterprise, click on the shortcut that you have created to select it. Then in the right-hand window verify that your controller (cpu) is highlighted. If you have more than one shortcut, clicking each shortcut should highlight the specific cpu you are set to communicate with. You MUST have a cpu selected.

A common mistake here is to not select a cpu since often times as we are performing this step we are not connected to the network where the PLC system would be available. But, you MUST select a cpu. If you cannot browse to the live system to select the cpu, then you can manually add the Ethernet module and then the cpu. Either way, you MUST select a cpu.

After selecting the cpu you can optionally specify your offline tag file, which would be the file from Logix 5000. Which it sounds as though you may have done.

After 1) selecting your shortcut, then 2) selecting your cpu, then 3) specifying an offline tag file then you must hit APPLY and confirm you want to accept these changes. Then you MUST click OK. I have watched many users either leave the RSLinx Enterprise window open or they close the window without clicking OK.

If you are performing all of these steps and it is still not working, then include a screenshot of your RSLinx Enterprise window and another showing us your Tag Browser window. That way we can perhaps see something that is being overlooked.

OG

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
And here is the Tag Browser window. Note in this example:
  • delete_Me is the name of the FT View ME Application
  • My_Shortcut is the name of the RSLinx Enterprise shortcut
  • Underneath My_Shortcut is the Offline folder which is displaying the available tags from the Logix 5000 .ACD offline tag file
  • At the bottom is the Online folder which is displaying no information as I was not connected to the live network. Clicking the plus caused the "+" or "-" symbol to disappear

OG

Capture2.jpg

Well done OG - that's a real "gotcha" for many people... I've even done it myself one or two times o_O

Apply AND hit OK, then go back in and check it has assigned the shortcuts, is my m.o. in all cases...

Thanks again!

I ran into another issue... When I follow the same procedure of adding Device Shortcuts and select the Design (Local) path, the tags for SAFETY PLC do not show up in the tag browser. Are safety PLC tags added differently? Nothing appears under the folder in the tags browser, but the others I added still work. I tried everything I could think of to troubleshoot and no luck.