1747-L40C can't stablich comunication

Nogalense123

HI guys

i have problem with

i just receive an old machine with an old SLC 500 1747-L40C but the problem it have is that goes from fault static led to run but it goes back to fault in less then 1 second aprox..., i already disconnected all the outputs and inputs to discard a short but it still remains the fault, the other problem is that i cannot connect to the plc with my 1747-UIC and my 1747-DATA terminal says Enter Network (illegal Network) is there any way that i obtain the program from it without connecting? or any ideas that how can i connect to it

the L40c is not Ethernet, its rs485
my suggestion is this.
1. power off the plc, then remove and reseat any additional I.\/o cards and communications cables to other devices. do this for all devices.

2. if you can power up the plc and it can go into run mode for 1 second, then you have a program fault, loss of program fault, corrupt program.

this is all I can think of at this time.
I have to het ready for a meeting.
james

To the OP.

Can you tell the forum a little more about your "Data Terminal" catalog number?

Is it the 1747-PT1?

I have not used one but to those that have , does it need a 1747-UIC?
Isn't it already a DH485 device?

It's probably a 1747-DTAM, a "Data Table Access Module". Usually when they plug into a Fixed SLC-500 DH485 port, they'll give you access to the B, N, T, C, S data tables right away.

If a DTAM doesn't connect, and a 1747-UIC can't connect, then the controller may be damaged. Try DH485 addresses other than 0, 1, or 2 to reduce the probability of a duplicate address.

Yes Mickey,

"1747-DATA", as far as I am aware, is not a valid AB catalog number? We could instead be talking about a 1747-PT1 HHT (Hand Held Terminal), or possibly, a 1747-DTAM (Data Table Access Module)?

The former allows extensive user interaction with the SLC fixed or modular controllers, including creating and transferring program files, whereas the latter just essentially allows data table access, mode change and fault clearing.

Both are DH-485 native and both can be used point-to-point to the aforementioned controllers or can participate in a DH-485 network, using a 1747-C10 cable (AMP to RJ-45).

I do remember that you can simply plug in the HHT to the controller DH-485 port with the -C10 cable and go straight online with the UTILITY option. It shows when your connected online, but I can't quite remember exactly how? There should be no need for a 1747-UIC with either of these devices.

If I had to guess at "1747-DATA" being mistakenly recalled as one of these, I would lean more toward 1747-DTAM, as it is more similar in name. But, if that is the case here, it's not going to be "as" useful as the HHT. Still, it can clear faults, if that is enough to kick start this controller.

Although, hearing the sequence when trying to go to Run Mode does not sound good? It's very likely the program has been lost, but let's try be optimistic, eh?

P.s. Welcome to the Forum, Nogalense123!

Regards,
George

Last edited: