RSLogix 5000 Failed to Create Module.

RSWhoAreYou

Good morning everyone!

New to the forum, not new to PLC's and forums in general. Today I got started on a new project for a customer who provided a base program with addons and UDT's, needing architecture and programming done.. So we're using RSlogix 5000 v20.04 with a 1756-L71 processor on a A10 chassis. I went to add a module looking to create a ethernet network using a 1756-EN2TR and I get this message that says "Failed to create module No message available for error. Code = 80131902"

I checked C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles to make sure I had the module profiles present on my machine, which I do.

I tried running the install setup for v20.04 on my machine twice. Making sure to select the modules I wish to add to my project, after a couple reboots, second and third attempts I still get the same error.

Another thing I'm noticing is that I can open up another version of logix, say v16.04 or Studio logix 5000 v24.01, and I can create modules no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas, my next step is to uninstall v20.04 and see if I cant get it to reload correctly.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for the Reply John, I have verified I have the latest AOP's for 1756 ethernet modules. I suppose I should have noted its not just the EN2TR I'm having issues with, its actually any module at all.

It seems to be an issue with running the software on my base machine which is windows 7 64 bit, with so many other versions of logix also installed. I'm going to attempt to run a VM with just v20.04 on it and well see how that works out. I'll post a resolution once I find one!

Error Code: 80131902

JohnCalderwood said:
aye well, they will probably advise you to uninstall every version of Logix5000 and reinstall from fresh.....

No "probably" to it John...

622815 - Studio 5000: "Configuration system failed..." and "Failed to create module"
Access Level: TechConnect

Even though the scenario in the technote is the reverse, Studio 5000 in error and RSLogix 5000 v20 OK, it is still likely the same cause here. Oh wait, they actually don't tell you what the cause is? They just tell you to uninstall all versions, and the rest, and then reinstall.

These type Module Profile errors are usually as a result of the Add-On Profiles Core or related services becoming corrupted. It often happens when multiple versions are installed under the same Operating System. Especially new and old. Reinstalling tends to be the "simplest" way to advise users to correct such issues. Not the fastest though. It's also why they mention repairing the Add-On Profiles.

There are advanced ways to navigate through the installation and attempt to manually repair or reinstall components, shared or common files, and Registry entries. But, that route is perilous and so the safer option is reinstalling.

Situations such as these, where a virtual session proves to be a good resolution, would further strengthen the argument of using virtualization to isolate different software version instances from potentially corrupting each other. Especially RSLogix 5000 and Logix Designer.

Regards,
George

I am having same issue and I suspect maybe because of a Windows update. It seems no one has been able to resolve this issue so far. I will try a few things and update if I am successful.

I am using Studio 5000 v28. A further elaboration on symptom is that I cannot add a "new module" under Ethernet. Existing modules can be copied and pasted and modified. I can add a new 1734 module if AENT or AENTR is already there but it won't let me add another AENT/R, BUT I can copy and paste existing AENT and then add/delete/modify all the 1734 modules.

If anyone else is in a similar situation, please post here.

Thanks in advance.

I tried a few things like repair of Studio and uninstalling the latest windows updates, but it did not solve the issue.

I uninstalled Studio 5000 v28, rebooted and then ran the setup again (right click and run as administrator). After install finished, I rebooted to be sure and then opened my existing file and now I can add modules! I tried it a new file as well as older version (v20) and now I can add modules in all versions.

So my advice would be to uninstall the highest version you have installed and then install it again as per above. It should solve issue with older versions as well.

Hope it helps.

I solved it by running RSLogix5000 in Administrator mode, and then open the project you're working with.

Without uninstalling.

Hi Angel_G and Welcome to the Forum!

That is good to hear that in some cases, not sure the exact details of yours, running as Administrator may correct error 80131902.

Further update on this issue...

They may have figured something else out since last we investigated this...

ID: BF20596 | Access Levels: TechConnect
Studio 5000: "Configuration system failed to initialize" and "Failed to create module" (Code = 80131902)

There are specific folders created to store a "user.config.xml" file for each version of RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer we install. According to the technote, deleting this folder, with this file, and restarting the software should correct this error. I assume it is recreated as it simply contains some basic user preferences like window size and positioning, etc.

Example path from technote:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockwell_Automation,_Inc\DefaultDomain_Path_kx0tfnny3uk5bxas0jropv3npcumkwij\V21.00

%LOCALAPPDATA% can vary depending on the OS. Windows 7, for example, is...

C: > Users > username > AppData > Local >Rockwell_Automation_Inc > DefaultDomain_Path...

So perhaps a search for the very specific folder name: "Rockwell_Automation_Inc" would be quicker?

Regards,
George