Powerflex 755 5005 Relay0 Life alarm

Scott W

Lifetime Supporting Member
New to forum... practiced in other page here is my problem
I'm working on a Powerflex 755 VFD drive for a process pump. The HIM is showing an alarm 5005 Relay 0 Life; which I believe is resettable "predictive maintenance alarm. Also believe I can set to ignore in the future?
I can not get to the parameter via the HIM, believe it's parameter 292? I do not have the Powerflex software so believe I can attach thru Ethernet on RS Logix 5000 and drill down to the drive (never did this before). Was hoping I could reset from HIM. I am able to reset all other "history" except the above.
Fairly new to working on Powerflex software issues; mostly part replacement. Thoughts as to how to reset? Power down and back on (after caps drain and drive completely shut off) didn't work. Lol! That's usually my go too!

P292 is an 'Advanced' Level parameter.

In order to access it first set P301 (Access Level) to 1="Advanced".

Once P301=1 you should be able to drill to P292 and set it to 0 = "Ignore" if so professionally decided.

I did see 301 in one of the HIM sections. It also had a screen choice for "parameter change level"- basic-advanced-expert. I tried each level but did not give me any thing more. Should I be able to change p301 regardless of what level I am on?
Could you also tell me what that Relay 0 Life is actually for? Are there relays that actually should be serviced or replaced in the Powerflex? Or is it actually pointing me to some other part of the circuit in the drive panel?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Make P301 = 1 and then you should be able to access P292 and set it to "0". A power cycle might be needed after P301 was set to "1" in order to be able to access the "Advanced" parameters.

Relay 0 "...sets the action that will be taken when the percentage of the relay life cycles has been reached."

The user settings are as follows:

=1 -Alarm occurs ; this is the Default setting
=0 -No action is taken (Ignore)
=2 -Minor fault occurs if enabled otherwise Fault Coast Stop
=3 -Fault Coast Stop occurs
=4 -Fault Ramp Stop occurs
=5 -Fault Current Limit Stop occurs

To make a long story short, the user sets a 'lifetime expectancy' in device 'cycles' and when this interval elapses then P292 decides the outcome.

Evidently someone went through the pain of setting it up (this monitoring is off by Default)... There might be a reason for this...

I think P.292 may apply to a Powerflex 753 which comes with TB1, TB2, and TB3. TB2 has a relay 0 (R0). The 755 only has TB1, so no relay. I'd guess you have an option card and it's in slot 5 because you said "5005" in your alarm. If this is the case you want to look at P.100 through P.106. Default settings are to alarm at 80% of the calculated life cycles of a DC Inductive load at 2 amps.

Great info! Thank you! I'm hoping to get back to drive tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know the outcome or... if I have more questions! ������

To make a long story short, the user sets a 'lifetime expectancy' in device 'cycles' and when this interval elapses then P292 decides the outcome.

Evidently someone went through the pain of setting it up (this monitoring is off by Default)... There might be a reason for this...

This isn’t always true. If the drive is set up for certain specific applications, hoist, torque prove, etc. then relay life is enabled.

I will say that the level in which Rockwell considers the relay at end of life is quite absurd. I experienced this the first time I used a 755, about a month after commissioning the project. I disabled the alarm and went on with life, if the relay were to fail in my application a whole slough of alarms would show themselves anyway. Point of the statement, I disabled that alarm 6 years ago and the machine runs 2 shifts a day 7 days a week and no failure yet. I’m expecting a call tomorrow now!

Obviously if you bypass the alarm and don’t consider relay failure then that’s just a larger can of worms.

We operate 3 pumps during our unloading process; two pumps can more then handle the whole process. So having one down isn't a major issue. As for the 0 Life for the relay, we have a total of 6 identical drives. This is the only one that has been acting up and or throwing that alarm. Also have experienced some issues with this particular drive having to be reset (faulting) when they shut it down and try and start it up right away.
Is this relay physically located in the power flex drive? And would say if it's monitoring "life" of the relay is it a power relay or control? I don't believe, based on the pumps service, that this is a critical function/parameter. Would like to inspect the relay just to make sure it isn't defective but seems this parameter is only like a time for lack of a better term; not monitoring the condition of the relay. Does this make sense?

The relay will be mounted on the IO board in slot 5, what the relay does will depend on what it is programmed for, it could be for Run or Fault or At Ref speed, or many other things.

You would need to look at what is wired to this relay to see if you can just ignore the alarm.

Alan.

Nethop said:
...I'd guess you have an option card and it's in slot 5 because you said "5005" in your alarm. If this is the case you want to look at P.100 through P.106. Default settings are to alarm at 80% of the calculated life cycles of a DC Inductive load at 2 amps.

That is confirmed here...

ID: QA15280 | Access Levels: Everyone
PowerFlex 750 AC Drive: Relay0 Life and Relay1 Life Alarms Solid Yellow / Amber STS LED

Those default values (DC Inductive @ 2 Amps) set the relay life expectancy to the worst case scenario of 10,000 cycles. At 80% the x005 alarm is triggered at 8,000 cycles. That may be premature, if the parameters have not been set correctly for the actual load.

If you know the load connected to the relay, say a PLC input, then you can set the parameters to suit (if not already set correctly).

To take the example from the technote...

In this example you could set, for instance, a "DC Resistive" load type @ "0.1" Amps which would give you an estimated relay life of 3,600,000 (3.6 million) cycles. Even at the 80% trip level, that is a 2,880,000 (2.88 million) cycles. A "little" bit longer than the default 8,000 cycles?

This alarm, of course, does not indicate actual physical relay failure has occurred. It merely provides a predictive maintenance warning that the estimated life cycles of the relay has been reached (or a % thereof). Each demand upon the relay is simply counted as a cycle but the load it is switching is not monitored internally. How or whether you want to use this feature is, of course, up to you. But do consider it "professionally", as dmargineau put it.

You are considering physically examining the relay for wear, which is certainly good. But I would first be more interested in knowing what the relay is actually doing (on all drives). Knowing this should help you decide how critical it is to the overall operations and whether to disable this maintenance feature or not.

Oh yes, also see here for estimated relay life cycles...

ID: QA12119 | Access Levels: Everyone
PowerFlex 750-Series Estimated Relay Life Cycles

Regards,
George

This isn’t always true. If the drive is set up for certain specific applications, hoist, torque prove, etc. then relay life is enabled.

The 'lifetime' monitoring is always off for any off-the-shelf PF750 drives. P288(Total Life), P289(Elapsed Life) and P290(Remain Life) are set to '0' by default.

One HAS TO program a drive for a whatever 'special' application. The OP's is a pump.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post is that someone actually programmed a 'lifetime expectancy' within said PF750 application. There might be a reason for that.

What's yours?!...You or someone else set P288 to something different than '0' on the 'month life span' PF750 you're mentioning... Knowingly or not...

Drives don't just fault on F5005 by themselves...

THEY ARE PROGRAMMED TO DO SO...Presumming there is some knowledge behind that that is...

The 'lifetime' monitoring is always off for any off-the-shelf PF750 drives. P288(Total Life), P289(Elapsed Life) and P290(Remain Life) are set to '0' by default.

One HAS TO program a drive for a whatever 'special' application. The OP's is a pump.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post is that someone actually programmed a 'lifetime expectancy' within said PF750 application. There might be a reason for that.

What's yours?!...You or someone else set P288 to something different than '0' on the 'month life span' PF750 you're mentioning... Knowingly or not...

Drives don't just fault on F5005 by themselves...

THEY ARE PROGRAMMED TO DO SO...Presumming there is some knowledge behind that that is...

Im referring to the IO option card, maybe were talking about something different. im not trying to get in an internet argument here but this is valid as I dont want anyone assuming that this isnt going to happen to them as well.

See the attached image, it clearly states that the default is "1 -Alarm"

755-106.JPG

If I may clarify here?...

This predictive maintenance feature is always active. The parameters that configure it will always have "some" working values. There is no "Disabled" or "Ignore" value for these parameters.

Separate to this, there is an event action parameter. This parameter is default set to 1 = "Alarm", as you have just pointed out _Dock_. We may then choose to user set this to 0 = "Ignore" which will ignore the always active predictive maintenance feature.

dmargineau said:
The 'lifetime' monitoring is always off for any off-the-shelf PF750 drives. P288(Total Life), P289(Elapsed Life) and P290(Remain Life) are set to '0' by default...You or someone else set P288 to something different than '0'

I'm not sure if you've used this feature my friend, but that is not how it works...

The "Life" parameters are read only and default start at "0". They are updated according to the "other" parameters being mentioned in this thread. As those other parameters are always active, this means as soon as the drive is in use, and the relay is in demand, the "Life" parameters will begin to update away from their default of "0". Again, we may choose to "Ignore" this feature using the event action parameter, but the feature will still continue to count and update the "Life" parameters.

i.e. We do not enter values into the "Life" parameters to configure the expected life cycles of the relay. We either leave the "other" parameters at their default, set them to user settings, or we may set the event action to "Ignore" the predictive maintenance feature.

If we look at the below screenshots we can see that the "Life" parameters are "RO" which denotes "Read Only", as opposed to "RW" for others which denotes "Read/Write"...

Parameters for PowerFlex 753 (Relay Out 0)...
453790_01.jpg

Parameters for PowerFlex 755 I/O Option (Relay Out 0)...
453790_02.jpg

Parameters for PowerFlex 755 I/O Option (Relay Out 1)...
453790_03.jpg

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George,

I find it hard to believe a PF750 had been started 8,000 times in a month as above stated. If it had been, it would've been toast and in no need of 'Ignoring Faults' but obvious replacement. The 'Preventive Maintenance' settings were not at default settings; they were altered for a reason.

Back to OP...A process pump started 8,000 times in ten years might be a true scenario, however, since I've been around myself around industrial processes for a long time I have used this feature for monitoring the Start/Stop cycles of the VFD driven pumps for mechanical maintenance.

If there is no load on the motherboard or option card relay(s) the write-able parameters could be tweaked to the maximum of 2,147,483,647 cycles and the read-able values used for monitoring or, simply "Ignored" via P292/P106.

Resetting the 'Lifetime' requires board replacement.