Importing a routine

lmoser

I am new to logix 5000 I am trying to import a routine into my program and when I try to import the routine logix 5000 freezes and i then have to kill the program via the task manager.

I have tried importing and exporting a number of different routines. I have tired exporting from an existing project into a new project. I have tried exporting a new routine to an existing project. and I have tired exporting and then importing the same routine back into the same project and each time logix 5000 freezes and locks up

When I choose to import logix 5000 prompts me to select a file and as soon as I click OK the program appears to load the routine(at least two progress bars run through cant tell what they say though) freezes up and i have to restart.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on or how i can fix this?

Please and thank you.

I had a similar problem once when trying to import into a program that I mistakenly opened from a network drive. It didn't freeze, but it would take upwards of 10 minutes to open the import routine dialog box.

You also may have a problem with any one of the host of obscure background services running in the FactoryTalk/Logix/Linx family. Does the problem persist after a reboot?
You might check your processes in Task Manager to see which one is stuck and using all your PC resources when it freezes.

I experience the same problem with no resolve. As Okie pointed out, the copy-paste works between two open projects. Make sure you copy-paste new UDTs, then new AOIs, before copying new programs or tasks. I haven't run into any problems following that sequence.

Potential workaround:
Is there a difference between import/export and drag and drop between two instances of RSLogix5000?

The main difference is that import/export automatically creates all new tags in the imported routine or project at the correct scope, where copy/paste does not. Definitely a better way if the service works. Sounds like it is a common enough issue that RA should be working on a fix for their import/export Logix services...

:whistle:

Interesting problem to have, I do this all the time and never run into issues.

Sometimes it is slower than others, but always seems to work very well. The advantage of creating all you needed tags is huge benefit.

I thought you would lose the auto creation of controller tags, but I think when I did this (many years ago), I was able to drag and drop the program tags as a unit and the individual mismatches in controller tags one at a time until it verified. This was the days before AOIs and UDTs came along, mind you...

I have this same problem now. At the point where it would normally open a new dialog to ask if I want to create a new AOI or overwrite, it just freezes and the dialog never opens. Last week it was working fine. Has anybody found a solution for this?

I know in my case the issue went away after rebooting. And it hasn't occurred since as long as I didn't try importing with a file opened from a network drive.

Beyond that I'm afraidiI can't be too much help. As the issue never resurfaced, I haven't looked too deeply into it. I know that the vast majority of the time the import service works perfectly, and is a HUGE time-saver.

Good luck, maybe someone else will come along who has found a fix for this.

I've just came across with this bug about two weeks ago, but as I had finished some modifications on a project I really didn't pay attention to it.

So last night I went bonkers on this "freezing" bug when I was trying to import a routine on RSLogix5000 v19, then tried on v18, and v20 without any success.

To make my long story short, what did work for me was uninstalling every single version of RSLogix5000 I had installed (cries), installed them again... and PRESTO! it just worked, now everything runs smoothly.

Just keep in mind that every setup of any version you run, do it as an administrator (if using Windows 7); when uninstalling check for "erase all Add-on profiles", clear settings and run CCleaner's registry fix afterwards, otherwise your uninstall will be useless.

I have also had this bug materialise in the last week. Was importing and exporting with no issues a couple of months ago. It happens for AOIs, and Routines in the same way. Has any one contacted RA about this one?

This is a Rockwell bug - you do not have to restart your machine to unlock it. There is a window open that you cannot see :confused:- and it is prompting you for an OK button press. Press the <enter> key to continue - if the import has no problems the import will resume - if it already exists - it will return you to your working session of RSLogix5000.

Cheers.

This is a Rockwell bug - you do not have to restart your machine to unlock it. There is a window open that you cannot see :confused:- and it is prompting you for an OK button press. Press the <enter> key to continue - if the import has no problems the import will resume - if it already exists - it will return you to your working session of RSLogix5000.

Cheers.

I agree with Lovell's assessment. I've experienced this problem just as they have. However, I have an alternative solution. Once you import and come to the point where it seemingly freezes don't simply hit enter, instead, try the following...

****Solution****
With the RSLogix5000 app being the last selected window, hold down the windows key + shift and use the directional arrows until the lost 'Import Configuration' window shows up.
****Solution****

I know this is an extremely old post but I hope this helps. It's important to have this window show up as making further edits before hitting enter and finalizing the import is usually required, at least whenever I import.