FTView SE as a GUI to edit/maintain custom SQL tables

mgallgood

I'm working on an application using FTView Studio SE, FT Trans. Mgr., and a SQL database with custom tables/stored procedures. I need to provide the customer with a controlled way to maintain the database (add, delete, modify table content). I know that I can use VBA in SE, but we moved away from that scheme for this project for a number of reasons. Hence I'm hesitant to use it for this feature/functionality.

Is there any other methods in FTView SE to allow for this ability?
I had considered using the PLC as a "middle-man" in this process but that in itself is problematic as memory in the PLC would need to be allocated for the max size of queries need to fulfill this function. Not knowing how this db may grow with time that is troublesome, not to mention the amount of memory utilized that would be very sparsely used.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
Mike

I don't believe there is. Can't you make custom Stored Procedures and let them run it from the management studio?

No, I don't wan them to use SSMS as they don't have experience with that tool. The folks tasked with maintaining this, although bright, don't need to be running around in there. Plus they want a central point of access for use and maintenance. So I will either have to figure a way to do it with out VBA (but I'm not hopeful) in FTView or I will have to use VBA. I just hope the rumors I've heard about VBA possibly being removed from the product are ONLY rumors, else this functionality would break if that happens and they upgrade to that version (which they would be likely to do).

Thanks for the reply.

I've done some stuff in FTView SE with SQL Server, but you're going to need VBA to do it. I don't thing that they will remove VBA form SE. It fills in a lot of functionality gaps that are impossible to do otherwise.

Could you create a custom app with Visual Studio to do it?

I could create a custom app. That in itself could be problematic from a support perspective. Even though Rockwell won't support the content of the custom VBA code at least they would have to support the "feature" in their product. If I did something custom outside of FTView then the question of who supports it long term comes up. At least with the FTView VBA it's in the project, the source is not likely to get lost, anyone competent with VB should be able to work with it (unlike some other languages that I could write this in). So, if it comes down to "custom" programming, doing it with VBA in View would be the better option.

I can't help the OP with the question at hand due to it being FTView SE and that you really don't have an "easy" way to manipulate databases. For future readers, database manipulation on the Ignition platform is native and an absolute breeze to do. If you ever have to mess with databases, sell Ignition it's just too easy.

I've worked with Transaction Manager (aka RSSQL) and don't remember if there's anything in there that could help you. Could you write a stored procedure in Transaction Manager triggered by a PLC tag?

Nope, there isn't. I am using FTTM in that way to download data for the process I am building. Unfortunately it does not do anything for me in regards to giving the customer the ability to maintain the information in the database. I need to give them the ability to add new records, modify existing records, delete records, and in the process maintain all the relationships between content in various tables. Doing that through the PLC has a plethora of problems.

I will be using VBA to do this as there really is no other way inside the confines of the tools I have or am willing to use (for simplicity's sake).

Thanks again for the replies!

Might be worse than vba but you could Web based controls embed on your screen with active. But you would then need to have a server install on you system pretty easy with xammp buy more headache than vba

I could create a custom app. That in itself could be problematic from a support perspective.
Visual Studio has some very good tools for things like this. You can build your basic database management application without writing code, but merely using a wizard to create a Data Source, then dragging and dropping to the form. It is similar to creating a form in Access.

See this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2b4be09b.aspx

I've done SQL recipe management using the VBA in FTView, and the nicest thing I can say is that it worked... But VBA in View, especially when dealing with SQL is Painfully, and I do mean Painfully S....L.........O.........................W.
I'd really just go with an external app, or if it must be incorporated, build an ActiveX app and embed that. At least that way, View's 20+ year old VBA won't have to struggle to keep up.

rdrast, I think that might be the nicest thing you've ever said about FTView ;)

I've used the Oldi eATM module to do something similar, with good results (very user friendly and fast), but that's not a cheap option and it requires a Control Logix chassis