You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread November 30th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #1
shazad5444
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

RS Linx - OPC Topic updating in Running system

Dear Friends,

Need your expert opinion about RSlinx Gateway OPC update while system is running. Our RSlogix 5000 is communicating with Wonderware through DDE-OPC RSlinx, now we are facing problem with between them, so best possible way is delete OPC topic and create new (With same Name), as per my understanding it needs to download in controller, my system is running (Redundant System) and can't perform download to update OPC Topic. Please let me know is there any other way to perform this activity in running system?
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Agentbill008
United States

Personally I've never run Rslinx Gateway, Classic, or Lite on a PLC CPU so I've never had to download it in the controller. I don't know how your system's architecture is set up, but normally Gateway is run on at least one "server" in a network and any changes are made there. This does not require downloading any configuration to a PLC processor. What I would do first is check your tree to make sure nothing is missing then delete the "broken" topic and replace it with a new one of the same name and verify that it is pointing to the correct processor. Alternatively, if you can still see the topics in Gateway and one is not communicating you may have a problem with a Harmony file in which case you should make a backup of your RSLinx files with the backup and restore utility and then reinstall your Harmony files.

Hope this helps,
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 05:06 PM   #3
thingstodo
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazad5444 View Post
Dear Friends,

Need your expert opinion about RSlinx Gateway OPC update while system is running. Our RSlogix 5000 is communicating with Wonderware through DDE-OPC RSlinx, now we are facing problem with between them, so best possible way is delete OPC topic and create new (With same Name), as per my understanding it needs to download in controller, my system is running (Redundant System) and can't perform download to update OPC Topic. Please let me know is there any other way to perform this activity in running system?
I don't believe that you can delete the RSLinx Gateway topic while Wonderware is reading data from it. So you'd have to shut down the Wonderware server, then delete the OPC topic and create it again.

You might be able to unplug the wonderware server from the ethernet switch ... maybe? .. and wait for the timeout. Then delete the OPC topic in RSLinx and re-create it.

If it were my system, I'd create a new RSLinx OPC topic with the correct path. I'd export the wonderware database to excel, change the topic to the new name, and import the database back into Wonderware. Why? Because if you do this once and it fixes the problem, you are likely to need to do it in the future. I dislike OPC a whole lot. And this is the type of fix that I've had to do with the PI OPC connector, the DeltaV OPC connector, Matrikon's Datamanager, Siemens Moore OPC driver, etc, etc.

Good luck!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum