DC Power Supplies

Rookie_Engineer

R
Hello,

I consider myself a rookie in the Controls industry but I am learning fast with the great wealth of information on this web site and others. My questions is about DC power supplies. I am curious what your opinion is on switching and linear power supplies. Do you consider switching technology sufficient for all applications for your projects? Or is your choice based on applications besides load requirements for example powering sensors, Digital IO.

Thanks for the feedback and continued posts on this website!

I've been using switching power supplies for about two years now in all my controls project.

I used SOLA ones for awhile then we found out about Murr power supplies being cheaper...we used those for awhile about a year, then this past week I had a problem with a Keyence CV-751 color vision system which runs on 24VDC. I had a Murr power supply installed in the panel...

It turns out the Murr power supply was causing all the power problems to the Keyence Unit. So I bought a Sola SDN-5-100 power supply and all my problems went away on the Keyence unit.

Lesson learned? You get what you pay for sometimes.

I've used the following switchers:

Sola - I recommend, sola has been in the power supply business a long time, even back when all that was left was linear type SOLA was the way to go.

Murr - cheap but not stable in rush power up problems

Pheonix - expensive just don't like the terminals either

Omron - ok too big of a foot print in most of my cases. They seem really nice, I just wish they would get as small as the Sola to save more space.

Good Luck

ab

look for new allaen bradley power supply

very small with high output powering. But expensive

Can installed on din rail

Joe Joe,

The new AB power supply is made by the same company which makes the Sola, so why pay for the name when you can by the Sola and get the same thing?

Mike

rogerhollingsworth,

I did a little research on the Sola/AB thing and what I have found out is that Sola did not make their own power supplies. A company in Germany named Pulse was making the Sola units, apparently Pulse and Sola did not see eye to eye as of late, so Sola and Pulse split company. Now Sola's power supplies are manufactured in China and will have a different part number from the old ones. Pulse on the other hand went to AB and is now selling AB all of the old Sola power supplies.

I am sure that the AB units will be priced higher than they were as Sola, but you know you have to pay for the monogram.

Mike