Volt Free Contact

sparky64

Might sound like a daft question but.......

We have contractors on site installing some alarm monitoring equipment for boilers, pumps, fans etc.

I've asked them for some digital signals for our plc to monitor and bring on our panelview alarms...etc.

They told me that they would give me an ammount of volt free contacts.

My understanding of this, is that they will use the alarm signals they generate, to energise relays, and i can switch our 24 VDC through their relay contact to give me an inut to our plc, but a colleague is disagreeing with my understanding of this terminology.

He says that no voltage is present at any time on the contact hence "volt free", if this is correct, how can i get my 24VDC signals.

Could someone clarify this for me please.

Cheers
Sparky :(

This has been debated before, and your way is the correct thinking.

Volt free contacts are for the customer to use for his own signals.

How could they do anything if they remained 'volt free'. They might as well not exist.

They are volt free when the installer finishes the job. You then put your signal voltage through them.

Volt free is exactly as you thought you understood it. I have heard the term "dry contact" and "potential-free contact" to describe the same.

Of course, this is assuming that is what the contractor thinks it means.

Once we were missing a phase and sent an Engineer to the Store room for a "Box of Phases" and a tube of frequency grease. He went for it.

Steve Bailey said:
When you get to work tomorrow, ask your colleague if he has a metric pipe wrench that you could borrow.

I don't have a pipe wrench, but I actually **DO** have a metric adjustable wrench... the jaw carriage is marked with gradients in millimeters.

You want more fun? Soak a roll of paper towels with scoth-guard, let them dry out, and put them in the rest rooms.

More "Special" Wrenches...

I have a what you'd call a "left-handed" adjustable wrench. The thread is reversed, so when you rotate it 'the normal way' to open the jaw, it closes. IOW, it works backwards. Here's a picture:
[attachment]
Notice the "MADE IN USSR" stamp on the handle. Are left-handers more prevalent over there?... :p

beerchug

-Eric

ussrwrench.gif