Panel Builder 32 Install Error

nmontev

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently installed Panel Builder 32 v3.83.01 onto a laptop running Windows 2000 SP2. Everything worked fine. I edited the PB32 application, and then realized that I did not have RSLinx installed. I put the install CD into the drive, and installed RSLinx. All appeared to work well. After I completed the required reboot, Panel Builder 32 was no longer recognized. I realized as I initiated the reboot, I had not fully closed PB32. Now, when I try to open my application, the laptop does not recognize the PB32 files. I attempted to reinstall, modify, repair, and remove PB32. I cannot complete any of these actions. PB32 appears in the windows Add/Remove programs, but does not allow any action. All I get is "Error-1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I tried everything the various sites suggest from my google search. (Delete the contents of the temp folder, stop various processes, etc...) I called AB tech and they are telling me it is an installshield issue which I agree. That does not help me get my problem fixed. Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

When I select Remove from Add/Remove Programs I get, "1628 Failed to complete installation." I tried the items listed from my google search as well.

Last edited:
You might have to manually uninstall it by deleting the application folders, any application data, and also any registry entries associated with PB32.

Then perhaps you can get a fresh installation to work.

I had to do this just yesterday with FactoryTalk View when it went stupid on me. I found a technote on the ab knowledgebase to guide me on what files and registry keys needed to be blown away.

I will look for their notes on PB32 to see if they have a similar document for you...

EDIT: The only thing I found was that you must be an administrator to uninstall it...but I think you're past that stage already...

Last edited:
I have deleted all the directory folders and went in and deleted any registry item associated with PB32 or Panel. (I was carefull to make sure anything panel was associated with AB and not windows etc.) I did not have any luck. I am still receiving the same errors. The one difference being that PanelBuilder32 no longer appears in the Add/Remove programs. I have a backup of this laptop prior to adding PB. I will make sure none of the other programs have changed, and then apply the backup and reinstall PB32. I was hoping I just missed something really simple. Thank you for your time.