Major Fault Type 1, Code 62

A PLC controller at one of our sites had a major fault, and the failure code was Type 1, Code 62. When we cleared the fault, the controller was OK. However, we are not sure what caused this fault. Based on the error code, I'm assuming that they're using a secure digital (SD) card. I've looked through the Rockwell Knowledge Base, and found certain references that could cause this fault, such as;

- Systems wth PowerFlex drives that support ADC (automatic device configuration), which will cause the secondary controller to experience a Major Non-recoverable Fault (i.e. and which cannot be trapped by a Program Fault Handling routine)
- Redundant controllers with firmware that does not support motion applications. When the CIP Motion axes drives come online, the controllers will then shut down
- Outdated firmware
- Improperly done on-line edits

From what I've also read, Type 1, Code 61 and Type 1, Code 62 Major Faults are the only ones that leave 'fault logs' on the SD drive (I believe as .BIN files). So, is my best course of action to send those log files to Rockwell for analysis, or is there a way to easily access & review those .BIN files myself? Again, thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Gil47..., Thanks for the link. It looks like the general guidance (as posted by daba back on May 30th) is to review the .BIN files on the SD card to see what the problem could be.

I hope anyone else whose encountered this fault code (i.e. Type 1, Code 62) with their Rockwell system can post the actual problem that was causing it

Those general fault codes cover a number of faults that can only be inferred or investigated by looking at the logs.

It's like saying "I have a headache"; could be a hangover, could be a brain tumor. Further investigation is necessary, and that's what the fault logs are for.

Over the history of the ControlLogix, sometimes known issues have been discovered in the field because of patterns and evidence that come from fault logs. That sort of thing wasn't found, or findable, in the development labs.

Is this from the same plant shutdown event that you posted about the DeviceNet system malfunction ?