AOI within an AOI

As cool as it is, recursion is caught by the compiler and not allowed in Studio/RSlogix 5K when it comes to AOIs or UDTs. A JSR call to "itself" is allowed but I haven't tried it without a way to "break" the call cycle. I would expect no less that a major fault.

I want to test it - but what if you JSR Routine_A, then have Routine_A JSR Routine_B, which in turn then has a JSR Routine_A. Similar for AOI_1 calling AOI_2, which calls AOI_1.

Would RSL/St5K catch that?

have Routine_A JSR Routine_B, which in turn then has a JSR Routine_A.

The compiler allows this; another form of recursion that could end disastrously.

Similar for AOI_1 calling AOI_2, which calls AOI_1.

The compiler caught this. I started with two aoi(s), aoi_A, aoi_B, with no local tags. I added a local tag in aoi_a of instance aoi_B. It was fine with that. I then tried to add an instance of aoi_B as a local tag in aoi_B. It caught it and indicated "recursion is not allowed".

I tried yet another level with aoi_c and it also caught that. aoi_A with an instance of aoi_B that had an instance of aoi_C. Attempting to add an instance of aoi_A to aoi_C tripper the same compiler fault.