FTView ME Numerical Display Issue

bikerdude

Hi,
I have a PV+ touch only screen supplied by a vendor that has a glitch. I think the P.N.# is 2711P-T7C4 v4 firmware. I am not a PV+ expert by any stretch but I have done a few from scratch & updated a few that vendors have supplied. There is one screen with a numerical display (floating point) that is supposed to display a temperature. The temperature value never updates while the screen is displayed. If you leave the screen & come back the temperature is displayed again with the correct value but the value remains static. I can't figure out what the problem is.
Has anyone seen this before? I cant post the file due to company policy of privacy. The numerical display is a member of a group of objects, would that cause this to happen?

Thanks for any or all ideas
BD

Are you sure it's not a PLC program issue?

One thing we do on occasion is look at the screen number that the user is on and update the tags only when the user initially goes to a specific screen (using a one shot).

Is the numeric display an expression, a direct reference tag, or an HMI memory tag ?

Maybe it's a value that is calculated by a macro or some other mechanism only when the Display is opened.

Or maybe the logic in the controller calculates the value once when it sees that you've opened the Display that contains it. The PV+ would have to be using the Global Objects to send the current Display number to the controller.

Hi,
I looked for macros that are on the "Behavior" tab of the display settings window. There are none in the start or shutdown boxes. It is a direct refrence to a PLC tag (F8:18) I think.

I did not think to look for macros in the "Logic and Control" folder like I should have.

Here is what I did to test the system out.

I was online with the PLC and I looked at the screen, it dispalyed 0.00 which matched the PLC F8:18 value. I edited the PLC rung to disable a move instruction that puts a zero in F8:18 while "Not" in "CIP" mode. Apparently the original programmer didn't want the true temperature displayed unless the machine was in "CIP" mode. Now looking at the PLC data table the F8:18 is 78.9. I walk over to the panelview 40 feet away & the display still shows 0.0. I go the the "Main" screen & then navigate back to the "CIP" screen and the display then shows 78.9 as it should. I walk back to the laptop, remove the recent edit which forces the value back to zero. Walk over to the panelview & the display still reads 78.9. Hmmmm.... Navigate to the "Main" screen & them back to the "CIP" screen & it shows 0.0 as it should.Hmmmm..... it seems that the value is updated on the screen only upon loading.

I am going to look at the PLC program a little closer to see if there are any conditional JSR instructions I may have overlooked.

BD

Wierd !

Is it possible that this specific Display has a super-long Update Interval ? I don't know what the maximum update interval is for a PanelView+ Display.

Hi,
I can't find any problems with the PLC program.
Here is a screen shot of the display. Has anyone experienced a problem if the numerical display is grouped with other objects? I have done it many times without any problem. I don't know what else it might be though. The manipulation of F8:18 is done completely on rung #4 of ladder 2, there are no conditions on this rung nor any jumps above this rung. There are no macros or expressions that I can see.

One thing that may be a problem is the different versions of this file and the different versions of the panelview firmware. The panelview started it's life as a version 4 firmware. It got wet & stopped working so we replaced it with a new version 5 firmware panelview. I only had version 5 of the software so I just converted the old version 4 file to a version 5 file & downloaded it. This conversion happens automatically in the background whenever you open an older version file on the new software. Once it is opened you just have to create or compile the version necessary to match the hardware. I thought that would be better than attempting to lower the firmware of the new panelview. Maybe these grouped objects don't like being converted fron ver4 to ver5? I know grasping at straws now.

PANEL_1.JPG

I have had issues with converting, but nothing like that. I once had different security codes applied to random screens after a conversion. That one took me a bit to find.

So this happened after the conversion? Maybe the update time for the display changed during the conversion?

You can right click on the display and select Display Properties to check the update time.

Just a WAG

Another thought that could blow my other theory out of the water: Do the other displays on that screen update slow?

This has my gears grinding...

I group things regularly and have never had any trouble.

I would try two things (one at a time of course). First, I would un-group them and see what happens. If you see no change, I would then delete the display and re-create it.

You can test it from your PC without downloading it if you have a local communications path set correctly.