Powerflex 525 inconsistent operation

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Board,

I have PF 525 drive, a small one, like 1 HP.

I'm running a simple rotary process and I'm working on the program.

I'm having a hesitation going into run mode, randomly. One time it works as expected, the next time I activate the process it might take 10 or more seconds to go to run mode.

The process uses a brake motor and I thought maybe the brake was hanging up or something, but after observing the command status on the drive it is definitely just not going into to run mode.

Let me know and I can send my logic for review?

Thanks,

John

How are you starting the drive? Ethernet, 3 wire, 2 wire? This all comes into play to answer your questions. Most likely its the code controlling the drive, not the drive itself.

Get the latest firmware, been awhile since using the 525 but I remember the first 4 or so firmware revs had a lot of issues.

It's been a couple of years since I worked with the 525s, but I recall having problems when starting or stopping the drives through Eth/IP.

I discovered that if I continually maintained the Start or Stop command, sometimes the drive would fail to react.

To fix it, I put a timer in to "pulse" the Start or Stop command on and off at a 200ms frequency.

Not sure if this has been resolved or firmware, or if this was a symptom of other issues.

Thank you all...

I figured it out thanks to your replies...

I had to place a XIO with my Drive.Start bit as the tag, as a precondition for the Drive.Stop...

Thanks,

John