Siemens PLC not reachable

Jim G.

I have a line with a network of 10 Siemens S7-1500. Everything is running and I appear to have no issues. I am running TIA V14 SP1 on a Siemens PG computer.

Now I can't go online with one of the PLC's. to monitor. I connect to the line from a switch at my work station.

It says it is "not reachable". However, I can connect at my work station and get online with any of the other PLC's in the network. The PLC itself shows only a "Maintenance demanded" but that appears in some of the other PLC's as well. The Ethernet switch out of this particular panel appears ok. All the drives in the cabinet seem to be communicating OK.

What is going on? Any help is appreciated.

I'm not overly concerned with the "maintenance demanded". I have had those show up since we started this line this year. The OEM and the programming contractor weren't concerned with these either.
What is bugging me is all the rest of the communications appear to be OK. All drives and HMI's are functioning normally. (Everything is networked together through profinet).
It's just this one plc won't allow me to go online to monitor. We also have a laptop workstation set up by the OEM for remote support and I tried to go online with their computer also. It would not connect.
Under my network view, everything shows communicating.
I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Update:

Was suggested to cycle power to the PLC. Had an opportunity to do so during a maintenance shutdown. Able to get online with processor now.

Was told that sometimes this happens when you lose comms from the programming station when monitoring, and the PLC is too stupid to release the connection. Typically need to cycle power to the PLC to clear it.

Learning new stuff about this Siemens everyday.