Windows 10 HMI

treellama

Anybody have any advice for "cleaning up" the windows 10 start menu for an HMI pc going to a customer? Do I really need to go through and unpin Minecraft and Candy Crush from the menu on every new PC that has a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro installed? I googled it, but didn't see a global "turn all that **** off" registry key. Are others building their own image or removing tiles with a powershell script? 3rd party start menu apps, like windows 8?

You can use scripts to remove "all-in-once". Lots of different homebrew debloat scripts on google.

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10/blob/master/scripts/remove-default-apps.ps1

If you're installing lots of computers, you could use sysprep to generalize a windows install and then use it to install new computers.

Another way is to use Windows 10 LTSB instead. It will never install new features (only security updates) and doesnt have all that c**p installed from start. Unfortunately requires volume licensing for Win10 Enterprise.

Last edited:
On a related note, I have installed something to bring back the Windows 7 start menu and taskbar on systems where I was forced to use Windows 10...

Googling...

Classic Shell

So much better than that "app cr*p".

I'd recommend building an image. Make it the way you want it he first time, install whatever software you need, then deploy over and over.

In Windows 10 go to the start menu and right click on any one of the games shortcuts, click More> then Open File Location.

The Rockwell folder is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Rockwell Software (I already deleted the Games and other folders so I can't show them)

That will take you to the folder with all the games shortcuts in the ProgramData folder. There you can delete the Games folder, and any other folder, completely.

This only deletes the shortcuts from the Start menu - it doesn't uninstall the games.

Thanks everyone!

I'll try the debloat script. A nice touch in the script was setting the registry key that disables "consumer" software suggestions in the future. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Maybe in the future I'll look into building an image, but we mostly buy PCs that have the OS pre-installed.

This forum wins again!

The IntegraXor SCADA offers a kiosk-like plugin for their web HMI that pins only the relevant software or web address to the screen.
Maybe there's a similar software that can do the same for your HMI.

You can use scripts to remove "all-in-once". Lots of different homebrew debloat scripts on google.

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10/blob/master/scripts/remove-default-apps.ps1

If you're installing lots of computers, you could use sysprep to generalize a windows install and then use it to install new computers.

Another way is to use Windows 10 LTSB instead. It will never install new features (only security updates) and doesnt have all that c**p installed from start. Unfortunately requires volume licensing for Win10 Enterprise.

Be careful with the scripted stuff, i broke a Windows 10 install with it, no idea what happened, i ran it on a clean install to get rid off the bloat and that was it screwed ! Had to reinstall from recovery media.

OkiePC,

I don't recommend this.
when you try to uninstall classic shell, things break and I had to reinstall it,
but the newest version may work just fine.
Just my experience.

james

Huh. I was going to say I had not seen this, but then, I never had occasion to uninstall it.

Open up PowerShell as an administrator.

Run the command
Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

I usually repeat the run a few times. Restart the PC.
This should remove most of the built in apps.