First Micro820 Failure?

PLC Pie Guy

Hey Folks.

I have many of these Micros in the field now. 810, 820 and a couple 850. Probably about 12 or so. All in use 24/7. This is the first time I have had any issues with one in this manner.

This unit runs a switching conveyor for lane sorting. There is a 1 h.p. 600VAC motor, on a VFD on the conveyor. Shielded with drive cable of course.
Also, two 24VDC magnets, a photoeye and a signal in from a checkweigher.

Upon startup, it was noticed that the conveyor wasn't switching. Checked the Micro and YUP, solid RED fault light. I cycled the power and it instantly returned. Tried it a few more times and same condition persists.

So I made a new unit and put it in service, machine running great since.

Now, I have the failed Micro on mu desk and I notice I can't communicate with it. The ENET light is SOLID GREEN, indicating that it should have an IP address configured. However, I can't see it.

I defiantly can't ping the address it was given by me a year ago.

I can't see it by setting the computer I.P. to the default 169.254.XXX.XXX with the sub of 255.255.0.0. Thinking it went to default. That gives me nothing and wire shark brings nothing in for me on the port when connected.

One other mention. The SD light is on SOLID GREEN, however no SD card is in this unit, nor has there ever been.

The controller goes to this state instantly upon power up, there is no try to go to run mode, the ENET light never flashes, it seems bricked.

What do you think????

This is what I would try.

I would make an SD-CARD with only this information.

Create a file in the root titled "configmefirst.txt" (without quotes)

This file will only have this information in it. (Must be exact!!!)
[PM]
[IPA=192.168.2.100]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.2.1]
[END]

Insert into micro820 - power cycle- and then see if you can see device. Remember to set your laptop to same network, if you can the first thing to do would be to update firmware and from there just test.

Good Luck

Shown in my image is what I put on the SD card.

Same result persists.

Solid RED fault light, Solid Green SD light. and solid Green ENET light but no communication.

Thanks

UntitledMICR1.jpg

Are you plugged directly into the PLC?... your PC is showing a network error on the bottom right of your screenshot

Any chance you can plug into a router and then open the router website and look for active nodes?

I was plugged directly from PC to Micro.

I tried simply with a 5 port switch as well but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I can try with a router for the sake of possibly saving the unit but I don't have one here I can play with.

I will pick up a cheap one with that capability.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont use static IP addresses in the trainers I sell because the end use needs to be able to 'plug and play' option so maybe yours had a glitch and has a strange address in it, if you dont have the DHCP selected I dont think the router will help but may be worth taking home and giving it a try

The serial port defaults to the LCD screen. I never changed that in any of my projects... Now I m wishing that I would have changed it in all of them should such an occasion present itself!

Hi PLC Pie Guy:

So after you had the SD inserted and you did a Power Cycle (The fault light will still be on.)

Did you actually browse for a device by "Setting Up Connection Path" in CCW?

If you cannot see device I would say you have a problem.

But if you can see device, try to connect - at that point software will ask if you want to clear fault (it will also give you the fault code)

Beyond that I don't know of anything else.

I did not try with CCW setting a connection path after the SD card. I ASSUMED that I should, if the I.P. address from the card took, then be able to ping 192.168.2.100 at very least, or see it in Linx,

I could give the SD card another go and follow it up with CCW browsing a connection path if you think that might make a difference, its worth a try.

Thanks all for the tips!

I have a lot of micro 820s out in the field. I always have an SD card in and back up the project to the card. Its always nice in case you have to swap out the plc. One time I had a fault and when I called for support they said the controller was dead. Replaced the plc, inserted the card and started up. Hope you figure it out and keep us updated.