OT: AB 1336 drive question

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
My facility has many 1336 drives in the 20-25 HP range, around 50 total. They are a mixture of 1336 "classics", 1336-plus, and 1336-plus II. The Plus II has a program option for loss of load, if the amperage drops to a preset level, for a set amount of time, the drive will fault for loss of load. I need to implement this function on the older 1336 classic's and plus's. I've considered adding a current transducer to one leg of the drive output, but I'm not sure this would work well on a drive.
Since many of these drive's are very old, upgrading might be the only option. Does anyone know if the new PowerFlex 70's have the loss of load function? I have a couple of Powerflex 40's and could not find this feature listed.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Ken, some manufacturers call this "Underload Fault". Generally, it is to be avoided due to the tendency to cause frequent nuisance faults. But it is very useful for at least two purposes: detecting a centrifugal pump that has run dry and stopping it before the seals are destroyed, and, detecting thrown belts on air handler fans.

If your older drives do not have this option, you can create your own detector by mapping one of the analog outputs to motor torque (do not use current) and then placing a current level detector in the 4-20ma loop (if the output is 0-10v you will need a voltage level detector). Be sure to include a time delay in the system (20 seconds is common) or you will be plagued by nuisance faults.

I'd be interested in how you are going to use this feature if it is different from the two uses I mentioned above.

DickDV the application is similar, but not an exact match.
The drives are used on peristaltic "hose" pumps, if the pumps are run dry it vastly reduces the life of the hose.

Couldn't you use a current senser that will open the circuit say on the permission to run command wire? Also I know that the various 1336 dives have optional cards we have several drives with some of the optional; cards one of them we use to add various photoeye triggers to start stop our main rail when the rail is full so I'm thinking that a current detector could send a similar command when conditions are right just two other possibilities I can think of offhand