Modbus TCP Datalogging Programs

Looks like the DA10D doesn't support data logging. Pick a DA30D.

The basic Crimson workflow is to follow the order of the items in the lower left pane. On Communications, set up a protocol by picking the Modbus TCP/IP Master driver. A single device will be created for you called PLC1. Click on it and set up any required details for communication. You can rename it at any time if you want a different name.

Next create some crimson tags assigned to that device pointing at the addresses you want. If your tags are all of the same data type and in a contiguous block, you could make that tag an array and set the array size as needed.

Next, you can jump down to the Data Logger section, add a new Log file and populate the contents tab. If you use array tags, you can pick individual elements of the array by right clicking on the tag (in the resource pane on the right) and select "Toggle Array". If you want all of them (ie. 100 tags named Tag[0] through Tag[99], you have to toggle the array to expose them all, select them all (shift key is your friend) then drag them onto the Log Contents

Set up the log details:
Update rate 1.0 seconds
Each File Holds 86400 samples
Retain at most 200 files

That would give you a new file every day for 200 days (Crimson wont let you pick more than 200, and I always set it to the max...never have filled up a memory card even with lots of log files).

I would recommend just setting up one tag at first, then create virtual HMI page to display that tag, dump it into the unit and test it to ensure you have good communication and all the right data formatting and addressing before you finish the application. It is also a good idea to make a flag tag something like "CommsOkay" and set its data source to IsDeviceOnline(PLC1). This tag will give you a "1" when comms are good and a "0" when comms are not good. With modbus, this function is dependent on the Ping Holding Register set up for the device on the Communications settings.

Stick that tag on the virtual HMI page too. You can monitor the virtual HMI with any web browser, but Chrome works better than IE. IE sometimes messes with the pointer location...you push one button and a different one operates!
Oops, yes I see that in the comparison. DA30D is a reasonable upgrade.

I'm seeing lots of options in it now. Thanks for the help.

I would setup a FIFO in your PLC, run two independent pointers in your PLC one for loading data to your fifo and another for sending data out from the fifo

Let your panel dictate the pace and you can load the data when ever there is an opening in the communication.

This would be the cheapest solution (y)

I would setup a FIFO in your PLC, run two independent pointers in your PLC one for loading data to your fifo and another for sending data out from the fifo

Let your panel dictate the pace and you can load the data when ever there is an opening in the communication.

This would be the cheapest solution (y)
Thanks for the response. I'd consider the PLC and HMI to already be heavily burdened, so I'm trying to offload the role to a separate device. Eventually I think I'd like to work towards an architecture that uses a small server to monitor the PLC and store records, and put out a couple of thin client HMIs to access live data, see historical graphs, alarms, and provide a few touchscreen inputs to the machine.

Last edited:
I have an application where we want to periodically (1 second) store the values from a list of memory words (about 100 %MW) from a PLC over Modbus TCP. We've used our Vijeo HMIs for this but unfortunately if another script is running the HMI will miss data.
At the moment I'm picturing a standalone DIN-rail mounted computer running a data logging application (a Modbus TCP client) that logs to a CSV file on the USB flash drive, preferably with the flexibility to use double words and identify each variable by name rather than address. I've written a basic prototype in Python but I'd like to see if there are commercial solutions that are known to be capable of running unsupervised for months or years. When I'm searching for devices or solutions like this, I'm typically finding dataloggers that use I/O and act as servers, whereas the PLC already provides these functions and I want to record this data to a flash drive. Is this something that's readily available? Is an Ignition Edge box appropriate or overkill?

Can you tell more of Vijeo problem?
If you locate more scripts to HMI, you mean that another script blocks saving data.
Can't you simple locate all you scripts to one script and run it every second.

Can you tell more of Vijeo problem?
If you locate more scripts to HMI, you mean that another script blocks saving data.
Can't you simple locate all you scripts to one script and run it every second.
Maybe it was bad wording. The data logging is done using the built in data logging feature, but it will drop samples if the load on the HMI is high. I've talked to Schneider about the performance issues, but I think the program has just outgrown the resources of the HMI, and that's why I'm talking about expanding into other devices.

Maybe it was bad wording. The data logging is done using the built in data logging feature, but it will drop samples if the load on the HMI is high. I've talked to Schneider about the performance issues, but I think the program has just outgrown the resources of the HMI, and that's why I'm talking about expanding into other devices.

If it is performance issue, would Schneider hmig5u2 or HMIG3U with seperate display be alternative?
Of course price goes up, but it would still have same pictures.

'mango' can do what you need.

https://mango-os.com/

it will log data to a time series database from modbus data sources

it will generate plots
it can populate excel templates and e-mail them on a schedule so reports are automatically delivered
it can present web based dashboards
it has been around since 2006 so it is pretty solid
it is pretty much a web based HMI with a java backend