UL508 torque screwdriver

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are becoming certified as a UL508A panel shop. Of course, one of the requirements is a torque screwdriver calibrated yearly.

Just reaching out there to see what you other UL shops use. I am hoping for something with a recalibration program so that we do not need to buy a new one each year.

Any recommendations??

When I was around a UL shop, “the” screwdriver was calibrated and placed in storage for show-n-tell when needed. It would be recalibrated yearly by a locally shop that did calibrations.

Not sure what our shop had, but when building UL panels it is a good time to think about spring terminals. Don't have to take up the time documenting torque values for the shop guys, don't have to retorque upon startup.

We just buy a new one every year. Cost about the same as the calibration does.

I dont know about the UL just thinking from the ISO side... does it not have to be calibrated even if its new? so if it does not come with a calibration cert even if its new it will still need to be calibrated

One thought what we did was sent one of our employees to school so we could do calibration 'in house' not sure if thats an option

I dont know about the UL just thinking from the ISO side... does it not have to be calibrated even if its new? so if it does not come with a calibration cert even if its new it will still need to be calibrated

they told us that brand new does not need to be calibrated but you must keep your receipt to prove that it is not more than a year since you bought it. If its more than a year old, you must have paperwork to prove that it is calibrated within the last year.