RSLinx

berrabbit5849

I am using ABs l33ER. After I leave one PLC and try to connect to another RELinx does not see the new PLC but has an RED X by the last one I was connected to. Do I need to set up something different. After I close and open RSLinx a few time it will see it. When I connect to the new PLC it will not go ONLINE and I have to open RSWho a couple of times. Using Windows 7 Pro. and STUDIO 5000.

If its a fresh out of box PLC you have to set the Ethernet IP address. You can do that using the BOOTP utility or if the processor has a USB connection on the front, you can connect thru it (it will show up in RSLinx automatically when connected).

I do not use Ethernet. I connect via the ABUSB driver. When I take my laptop off of one PLC and try to connect to another I can not go ONLINE. I open WHO and the last PLC is showing up wit a red X and I have to close WHO and open it a couple of times before I see the PLC I am connected to. Then I can select GO ONLINE. These PLCs have been running for 3 years and are not interconnected in any way.

I've found that the USB driver is not very responsive when it comes to connection changes and that is what it sounds like you are also experiencing.

Most of the time I can't get in a live panel if its on the customer's floor (ARC Flash hazard and such) so I only use it for initial connections and firmware upgrades.