RSLogix5000 & PF700 Not working

Olly1441

Hi, I am having trouble with a PowerFlex 700 drive in RSLogix 5000 version 20.11 in an L64.

I have an ACD file for a heavily used PLC that is running but cannot be saved as an L5k, it cannot be verified for errors, no routines or programs can be exported from this file, nor can values be uploaded at the time of saving. If any of these things are attempted, a fatal error occurs and RSLogix crashes. Differing information is found in the dump log. This problem occurs for all users not just me. Even an taking a blank ACD file and attemptint to upload the program causes a fatal error.:cry:

The only thing that I can find that is odd within the ACD file is a PowerFlex 700 drive that cannot be deleted (not even offline). If I try to delete it I get an error saying "Failed to delete module...there was un unspecified failure". All of the other PowerFlex 700 drives, the routines, IO etc. can be deleted from the ACD file offline but not that drive. This devices in the I/O tree has lost its information but when I go online and go to its Properties/Drive tab and select "Create New Database Files From Drive Online" I get the following:

"Drive page could not load due to following error: Failed to create IExtendedProperties Interface. Please verify that Integrated Drives Profile was properly installed."

I am working on a site that runs 24/7 and am trying to avoid the time-consuming task of rebuilding this code from scratch and having to ask for production down-time to do a download.

Any assistance would be appreciated:wish:.

The first two things that I'd check:

- Are you using v20.04 of RSLogix 5000? There's a major SNAFU with v20.00, 20.01 and 20.03 incompatibility that you may or may not be aware of, and it can give you misleading and confusing errors
- Has the PC you're using got the correct drive profile? You can quite often "match" the drive online, which uploads all the information about the drive, directly from the drive. Then RSLogix knows what to do with it

Neither of those potential issues seem to me that they should actually cause RSLogix to crash, but it's a starting point.

Thanks ASF.

I have version 20.01 installed on my computer and the PLC uses version 20.11
The Match Drive option is greyed out. I have the feeling there is something corrupt in the file, and in the Controller. In August last year this controller was working fine, nothing has changed with the setup.

The Match drive button will only work when you are offline but still have a valid path to the network and drive.

If you go online to the PLC and upload the program or the program match's then you would go offline and then use the Match button.

Once you have done the drive match you will need to download the program back into the PLC for it to work.

Alan.

^^what he said :)

Also, check out this article for a good overview of the potential problems with v20.01 of RSLogix 5000. I would highly recommend installing v20.04 - it may not actually be the cause of this problem, but it's definitely something that'll bite you eventually. And as I said previously, problems caused by this issue have been known to manifest in strange, unusual and misleading ways...

Thanks ASF, Alan_505. I appreciate the assistance, you guys are awesome. I have tried Match Drive offline, but didn't work correctly. We fear it is a corruption of the software somehow so I have been asked to reprogram the entire PLC from scratch. o_O

Thanks ASF, Alan_505. I appreciate the assistance, you guys are awesome. I have tried Match Drive offline, but didn't work correctly. We fear it is a corruption of the software somehow so I have been asked to reprogram the entire PLC from scratch. o_O

What didn't work correctly? What did it do?

Also, do you have any Stratix switches in the I/O tree? There's a bug in v20 that will not allow an L5K dump if Stratix switches are defined in the I/O tree.

Hi robertmee,
I appreciate the assistance. I guess I didn't explain myself well in that last part. The Match Drive did match the drive parameters but in the corrupt ACD file it did not import the Port Configuration or the information under the Drive tab. Manually typing in the Port Configuration doesn't work, the information is erased as soon as one clicks OK. The Drive tab function "Create Database" results only in a failure - the message says "Failed to create IExtendedProperties...."

In the new file I have started to rebuild, both the Port Configuration and Drive tab information generate automatically with the Match Drive function and this information is not lost.

It is just this one drive that is having an issues. We have dozens of other drives on this same system, same PLC, same setup, no problems.

We do have a Stratix switch in the IO tree but not being able to export to L5k is only one of a ton of issues that this PLC is having right now, and we do have other PLCs on version 20 with Stratix switches in the IO tree and we can export them to L5k, so not sure about that one.

Well, if it were me, I'd try to delete all the switches from the I/O tree and do an L5K export...if that doesn't work, then I guess you're stuck on the path of rewriting as you are now. Good Luck.