comm between SLC 5/04 and Compactlogix L32e

zz12z

Hi everyone,

I try to have a Compactlogix L32e act as master PLC, so it will collect data from four SLC 5/04(int & string).

The four SLC already connect together through DH+.

So my question is: How can I connect Compactlogix to SLC and read the tag from them? What cable or card do I need?

Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the Forum !

The easy way to do this would be to install a ControlLogix chassis with a 1756-ENBT and a 1756-DHRIO module, which will allow the CompactLogix controller to send messages over Ethernet to the SLC-5/04 controllers on DH+.

There are also some standalone DH+ to EtherNet/IP gateway devices, but you will have to verify with Prosoft or Equustek about how to configure them for this application.

If one of the SLC-5/04 controllers is within 50 feet of the CompactLogix controller, you could potentially use an RS-232 connection between them and use DF1/DH+ Passthrough to get data from the other controllers. This will require some careful testing and will not be as fast as a dedicated network bridge.

Thank you, Ken!

Is it anyway a compactlogix can read the tag without using massage?

Seen like if I using MSG with String, it will be a painful process to convert string to int and convert it back from int to string.

Is it anyway a Compactlogix can read the tag without using a message?

Not from an SLC-5/04. Messaging is how data is moved to and from SLC and PLC family controllers to other controlers over networks.

CompactLogix and ControlLogix family controllers can use a data exchange method called "Produced/Consumed Tags", which uses the same sort of cyclic services as I/O modules use. PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix controllers do not support that kind of data transfer.

I don't consider converting from String to INT[x] to be "painful"; it should take two or three MOV and COP instructions.

Hi Ken,meant to ask some time ago but totally of topic. Your ID photo, are by an oil well? leather handed type dude,You, or just a PLC simpleton (that's a complement , NO insult intended) as l have played around with rigs, those were the days, gladly forgotten.

That's a photo by the great Depression-era photographer Lewis Hine.

Specifically it's "Derrick Man", taken during the construction of the Empire State Building in 1930 or so.

Turns out the original print sold for over $20,000 at auction.

Hi everyone,

I try to have a Compactlogix L32e act as master PLC, so it will collect data from four SLC 5/04(int & string).

The four SLC already connect together through DH+.

So my question is: How can I connect Compactlogix to SLC and read the tag from them? What cable or card do I need?

Thank you for your help!

You could buy a ProSoft Modbus TCP card for each system...(actually, one in one SLC (make it a data pump) and one on the CompactLogix.

Whenever I have setups like this I think of Modbus...that opens up the choices.