GE Fanuc Series 90 30

Johnny T

I need to program a series 90 30 plc. I've never programmed GE Fanuc before but it's only a small change so it should be ok. What I need though is the programming lead...

Is it a lead that needs to be bought from the manufacturer or is it possible to make one. If so, does anyone have a pin out for one?

I've looked on the GE Fanuc website but there is loads of different types of PLC. Is there just one lead to program them all, or are there different ones.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Either which lead I need to get the customer to buy or a pin out for a lead that will do the job.

PS. While I'm on the subject, was I right in telling the customer to buy VersaPro. That is the programming software isn't it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this...

JT :)

Hi Johnny
The cable is proprietory it's number is HE693SNP232A it is a rs232 to snp adapter from Horner Electric Inc. I do not use the Versapro but I think that is right. I use the 6.8. Where are you located in GB? I have one of our guys going to Burnley next week if you are close I can send one by him for you to use.
Lynn

Lynn

I grew up in Burnley, and now live about ten miles away. I'm actually working all week (near enough) in Blackburn which is right next door to Burnley.

If you have a spare lead that would be brilliant, thanks. I would need to keep hold of it for a week or two because I am snowed under with other work. However, I would certainly post the lead back to you if needs be.

If this is possible then let me know. You can get me direct at:
[email protected]

(Just remove the NOSPAM bit...)

All the very best

John

Programming cords are easily available on ebay. type in fanuc plc and you should get a couple. Pin outs are available from ge's website, link is in the plc help tab above for manufactures. do not buy software on ebay unless you know exactly what you are buying. alot of it is older versions that won't work with newer stuph.

The programming lead can be a RS232 cable with a RS485 adapter if I remember right.
Maybe someone can post a link to the proper manual, as I am not able to search it right now.

regards......casey

Thanks Casey, I shall check for the pin out.

I've already looked on Ebay but there weren't any programming leads for that PLC on for a Series 9 (I think)

Thanks

Every 90-30 can be programmed through the 15-pin port on the power supply in the same rack as the CPU. This port is RS485, and requires the converter cited in the other post. Some 90-30s also have additional ports on the CPU module which can be used for programming. The CPU351, CPU352, and CPU363 models have an RS232 port. The manual that shows the port pinouts is GFK-0356, available from the website.

You need to know which software package created the program running in the CPU. The current package is called Cimplicity Macheine Edition. VersaPro is one generation older. There was also a DOS package that is still in fairly widespread use called Logicmaster 90. If the customer has a backup file of the program, the newer packages can translate files created by the older versions.

The customer doesn't have a backup of the software unfortunately.

Is it best to buy Cimplicity Machine Edition then? Will this package program the 9030 series?

I was going to advise the customer to get Versapro...

Thanks

As long as the program in the PLC was created using either Logicmaster 90-30 or VersaPro, then you should be able to connect to it and modify it with VersaPro. If the program was created with Cimplicity Machine Edition, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to modify it with VersaPro. If the program was created with Logicmaster 90-30, once you modify it with VersaPro, it will be unreadable by Logicmaster.

Cimplicity Machine Edition is the programming package that GE Fanuc will be supporting into the future. CME supports programming the newest PAC Systems PLCs as well as the older Series 90 PLCs. VersPro will never be able to program the newer models. VersaPro will be happy running on a computer with as little as 32 meg of RAM. CME will be unhappy with anything less than 128 meg.

VersaPro for the 90-30 is part number IC646VPS300. CME for the 90-30 is part number IC646MPS001. Both packages have a list price of US$800.00

Steve

Thanks for the info mate. I'll probably look into VersaPro. It will only be used on two identical machines and I'm sure it will do what they're after.

Cheers

Johnny T said:
Lynn

I grew up in Burnley, and now live about ten miles away. I'm actually working all week (near enough) in Blackburn which is right next door to Burnley.

Did you ever work for a company based in Warrington?
Just curious.

Homer

Hi Jonny
Did you get the e-mail i sent you? If not, My guy has already left but good news we are shiping some parts to Lankashire in a week or two and i will be more than glad to ship the cable and tell the folks at the plant that you will pick it up.
That will save you some on shipping. just let me know.
Lynn Davis

Alvin

I didn't get your email?

But thanks for that, I'll look forward to getting it. Let me know the details (ie. where and when etc). You can PM me if you want.

You're a star ! Thanks !

Cheers