Cognex and Compactlogix not playing well together

tbalt14

Hi new here...

I'm having a problem I hope somebody else has seen and figured out.
I'm trying to add a Cognex In-sight 7000 camera firmware version 4.09 (software 4.9) to a AB Compactlogix firmware version 16 using Ethernet/IP.
I've added many Cognex camera's using Ethernet/IP without a problem.
I tried the same 4.09 version camera on a compactlogix version 20 and it connected right up but it will not on version 16 controller.

I can't upgrade the version 16 controller to a higher version without causing havic with the rest of the line. We have 20 machines linked for serial# tracking back to a supervisor PLC which would all have to be updated.

I ihave the cognex AOP installed so to add the camera I just select the Insight 7000 camera for the new module instead of using a (generic Ethernet module).
When viewing the module properties (module info tab) it shows module type matches but without errors but when the module tries to connect it errors out at that point 16#0203 communication error.
Its funny the camera will connect fine on version 20 but not 16. Cognex website says the AOP needs to be used with RS-Logix version 15 or later.

Anybody else run into this? Toying with downgrading the firmware in the camera to an older version to see if that takes care of it but not sure if I will loose the auto focus function of the camer if its downgraded.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum !

16#0203 error code suggests that the controller is trying to make a connection but that the connection attempt is being refused or is timing out.

Can you get an Ethernet tap or mirrored port on this and capture the traffic with Wireshark ?

It's not a simple identity mismatch or lost packet sort of thing.

Ken, I downloaded Wireshark but wasn't sure how to really use it. To fix my problem I ended up downgrading the firmware from the In-Sight 4.8 software release (previous version). That took care of my problem and it connected right up with the version 16 Logix 5000. Still waiting to hear back from Cognex on this problem to see if they have a patch of some sort.