MicroLogix 1000 PLC trainer built by me (Help Me )

This sucks man I’ve put so much time on this for nothing now. All I’ve been wanting to do and trying to do is learn PLC seems like I’m set up for failure.

Nah, this is totally normal. We've all been there, bought the T-Shirt, ate the Ghost Chili Peppers...

The guy's here will help you thru, so be patient.

I have an A-B USB to Serial and it works 100% of the time on Auto-Config. Also have the other 1203 A-B rig for drives. Found out that flakes out a bit if it's laying on 3 phase generator lines. No way to get closer than that with all the cables, but hit Auto-Config, that fails in that aspect, but go to RSWho, it shows up.

A MicroLogix 1000 with it's channel 0 port set to DH485 should see DF1 full duplex coming into the port and auto switch from DH485 to DF1 full duplex. However it sometimes doesn't take right away, needs to be power cycled with DF1 poling for it right after it finishes booting up or won't work when using a USB to serial adapter. My guess would be the last one I.E. it doesn't recognize the data packets coming from the USB to serial adapter (I believe it has to do with packet timing).
Try setting your DF1 driver up for "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView", full duplex, 19200 baud, No parity, 1 stop bit and CRC error checking. Don't use the auto-config and select OK. First question, does it take I.E. does RSWho show "RUNNING"? Next question, select the "+" sign next to the "AB_DF1...", does a MicroLogix 1000 show up below "00, Workstation..." and if not, what if anything does show up below? If a MicroLogix does show up, without a red X then you are talking to the MicroLogix 1000. If there is a Red X through it (and it is labeled "MicroLogix 1000...") then it can see it but it isn't making a full duplex connection to it. If that is the case let it run for a few minutes and see if it eventually comes up.
If none of this works, you may have a bad PLC or your USB adapter isn't compatible with RSLinx (the likely scenario).

Ok

Before I uploaded this stupid program it showed up micro 1000 now it just shows up workshop 00. It wouldn’t even find the PLC at all I don’t get it everything was working fine

Go back and look at the port configuration in the program that you loaded. Check to see how the port is configured. The primary protocol may be set to DH485 however it should switch over when it see's DF1. It may also be set to DF1 Half Duplex and if that's the case you can setup a DF1 Half Duplex Master driver in RSLinx and that should get you back in. Regardless of what its at, you need to know in order to know which direction to go in trying to figure this out.

If he downloaded a DH485 program to the PLC then he will need a UIC to get it back to RS232 DF1

from his post #3 ...

I looked at the program ... it was working fine and ... in controller properties on the good program was MicroLogix 1000 DH-485/HDslave ... the bad program just MicroLogix 1000.

maybe the comms were set up for some flavor of DH-485 and he lucked out and got connected to it ...

maybe the program that he downloaded had a default setting for DF1 ...

so ...

A. maybe the communication rig that he has on hand is incapable of handling DF1 ...

or (and more likely) ...

B. he just hasn't tried the correct combination of DF1 settings ...

SUGGESTION: if all else fails, don't throw the processor away ... ship it to one of the forum members (geniusintraining for example) ... they can try the processor out with KNOWN good communication gear - and ship it back with detailed instructions ...

TIP: do NOT give up ... the longer you stay in this trade, the more you'll realize that just getting "connected" to the processor is often the HARDEST part of the job ...

another train of thought ...

from his post #18 ...

Before I uploaded this stupid program it showed up micro 1000 now it just shows up workshop 00. It wouldn’t even find the PLC at all I don’t get it everything was working fine

maybe he's confusing the UPload operation (FROM the processor) - and the DOWNload (TO the processor) operation ... maybe that's part of the problem ...

Last edited:

Try setting the node number of your programming station to something other than zero. Maybe there is an address conflict with both the Micro 1000 and workstation (i.e., both are 00).

A few questions...
1st, Is Patrick420 and miller20 the same person? With the post of the program PMILLER by miller20, it could look that way.
2nd, Where in Michigan are you? I'm in the Grand Haven area...
3rd, Are you using the free software version for the ML1000 and ML1100?

Last edited:
If he downloaded a DH485 program to the PLC then he will need a UIC to get it back to RS232 DF1

Actually if it's a series D (or higher) or an Analog controller, it has "Automatic Protocol Switching" and will switch between DF1 and DH485. The only thing it won't do (related to switching protocols) is switch between full and half duplex. But if it's a DF1 half duplex slave (which it sounds like it's not) then he should be able to configure RSLinx to connect to it.

I've made this same mistake and I had to use a UIC cable and manuals select different speeds until it worked. I think 19200 worked.

I am not sure if I am missing something but, both of the programs he uploaded show the driver selected to be an Allen-Bradley 1784-U2DHP USB-to-Data Highway Plus Adapter. Based on this how did he ever connect to this controller?

Thank you all

I GOT IT.... thank you all for all the help without your suggestions I would have not been able to fix it. So thank you very much

Happy programming to all