Data logging & reporting

ckchew666

Hi,

We've a project that require use to implement a data logging & reporting (hard copy print out). The controlling part is running for quite some time already. Customer is SLC 5/04. The newly add in data logging & reporting is actually TWO values from a weight scaller. This weight scaller has 4-20mA input sending to the PLC (1746-NI4). The data logging & reporting will be done by a PC connecting to the SLC 5/04 using DH+ network (1784-PKTX). The weight of the object that pass thru the weight scaller will be logged. Averagely it takes 2 second for each object to pass thru the weight scaller.

The factory is running 3 shift (8 hrs/shift). At the end of the shift, a report will be printed. At the end of the day, the sum weight of the 3 shift will be printed also. All the logged data will be saved as Excel file as backup. So, 1 day will have 3 shift log files & 1 total weight file to be backup daily.

The report format as below:

Time | Weight Scaller 1 | Weight Scaller 2 | % Difference |

1) Is there any data logging & reporting software in the market suitable for this application?

2) The cust does not require a fancy GUI (like SCADA), just a plain format to be displayed at the logging PC will do.

Hope to hear from you guys :) Thanks.

I recently inquired info about Iconics TrendWorx. It comes in a 75 tags version that lists around 600 Euro.
It will log, trend and make reports.
Maybe there is an extremely low tag number version (i.e 15 tags or something); you could check it out.

You will need a license of RSLinx Single node too, approx 400 Euro.

You could look into FasTrak SoftWork's ControlShop, Data Logger/Trender. It is OPC Compatible and will Log and Trend unlimited data. The logger criteria seems to be most important for you here. I assume that there will be some human interaction on getting the information saved into Excel, and printed, etc. If so, FasTraks Logger would work very well for collecting your data as you need, and it can span database files if you want to after certain time frames, etc.
www.fast-soft.com
[email protected]

JesperMP said:
I recently inquired info about Iconics TrendWorx. It comes in a 75 tags version that lists around 600 Euro.
It will log, trend and make reports.
Maybe there is an extremely low tag number version (i.e 15 tags or something); you could check it out.

You will need a license of RSLinx Single node too, approx 400 Euro.

Hi Jesper,

Thx for ur reply, the RSLinx Single node can do DDE? The comparison chart mention that it cannot do Fast DDE. I'm not too sure what is Fast DDE.

BTW, with 600 Euro we can get RSViewME already, will it be better to use RSViewE for data logging & reporting than Iconics TrendWorx? Or maybe Iconics TrendWorx is specially customized for data logging & reporting already?

This is the site you are mentioning? http://www.iconics.com/industries/automotive.asp

Thanks. :)

ckchew666 said:
Thx for ur reply, the RSLinx Single node can do DDE? The comparison chart mention that it cannot do Fast DDE. I'm not too sure what is Fast DDE.
ACtually I dont know if it cannot do "regular" DDE.
For TrendWorx you dont need DDE anyhow. It uses OPC.
FastDDE is a kind-of standardised way to access data. It is faster than regular DDE. FastDDE was more important before OPC arrived as a universal standard.

ckchew666 said:
BTW, with 600 Euro we can get RSViewME already, will it be better to use RSViewE for data logging & reporting than Iconics TrendWorx? Or maybe Iconics TrendWorx is specially customized for data logging & reporting already?
I think that RSViewME is limited to cyclical datalogging.
And I am not sure if the HMI application can view the logged data, or only data it has in memory so to speak.
TrendWorx can log cyclical, on change, and on event.
Also it can display the data in list format or trend format.

ckchew666 said:
Try http://www.iconics.com/products/trendworx32.asp. You can download a demo.

Jesper: If I understand correctly, Genesis32 is the main software that contains TrendWorx32, DataWorx32.... I've check out the software in Malaysia selling around USD1200 (75 tags). It's more to like a complete SCADA with nice graphic design.

Can TrendWorx32 or Dataworx32 work as standalone? it'll be much cheaper.

With USD1200, I can use RSView32 already!

Thanks.

glenncovington said:
You may want to look at http://www.kepware.com/Products/products_OPCServers.html

For $795US you can get the AB suite of drivers. It includes an OPC server and DDE Server. There is a demo that is fully functional, but expires and has the be restarted every 2 hours.

Good luck.

Hi,

The kepserver is just to provide OPC only, right? It does not do any data logging or reporting function. right?

glenncovington said:
It provides a DDE server that you would then use EXCEL or ACCESS to collect and manipulate the data.

If we managed to get the data into the server with DDE using RSLinx, the we do not need KepServer right? Basically I just need a software that can do data logging & reporting in nicely tabulated format (EXCEL), am I right?

Note: Customer computer has RSLinx with DDE & OPC function.

If you already have RSLINX (not the Lite version) that can provide data to Excel, then can't you use macros to store and format for you?

I am not an Excel expert but there is a macro record function to help you build a macro. Maybe you can use some sort of clock function or bit change to trigger the macro.