You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #1
HenryLamboo
Netherlands

Measuring speed moving object with device connected to PC

I want to measure the speed of a moving object with an external device attached to a Windows PC. We have several machines for which we need to measure the speed of a moving part. This part is moving from 0.5 mm/min to 3 mm/min (Minute).
I am thinking of a device which can measure height with high accuracy 0.01 mm or less for a range from 10 cm to 100 cm. This device has to be connected to a Windows PC with USB or RS232. With drivers for Visual Basic.

Has anybody experience with this?
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #2
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

You could use a micro plc and an array of sensors for detection and speed measurement, this would allow RS232 or Ethernet options.

Another option is a vision system, they are capable of measuring height, width, length, area, volume, size, position, number of objects, positioning and more.
http://www.sick.com/home/factory/cat...vision/en.html
These can be directly connected to a computer thru RS232/485 or Ethernet.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #3
panic mode
Canada

what is moving part? can measuring devicebe connected to it?

(i hope it'snot hot cookie or blob of jelly).

For PC interface, you could use any DAQ like NI USB9215A.
it comes with drivers for VB6 and VB.NET for example.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #4
OkiePC
United States

If (and i'm guessing here) the application requires non contact measurement with high accuracy, you may want to check into a laser doppler or laser displacement type sensor. You will need to know the size and direction of the target, and the total length of the motion to be measured. These devices have a limited sensing range at that level of precision. I have used a Canon laser doppler velocimeter for non contact speed measurement. Extremely expensive. Terrible customer support. It puts out quadrature encoder pulses and is accurate to 0.01mm. I bet there are other brands of similar devices.

RANT: Some one needs to build a senor with the same technology that's in my optical mouse for just such applications. I can buy one of those for $20, but the industrial equivalent is $6000.?!?!

Without more details, it would be hard to suggest a good sensor. Can you attach a sensor to the part? Is it held captive by part of the machine or free falling from a hopper? Give us more info please ...

Paul C.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #5
HenryLamboo
Netherlands

Additional infomation

The moving part is a kind of arm moving up and down with low speed. Measuring devices can be connected.
We want to check the speed periodically (once a month or so) from each machine with an external device (We want to use the same device for all machines).
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #6
OkiePC
United States

How about a string pot with a magnetic base?

String Pot

Last edited by OkiePC; January 4th, 2006 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #7
danw
United States

LVDT (Linear Variable Differential Transformer) with a signal conditioner
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum