Powerflex 525 ADC Selections- Exact Match , Compatible Module , or Disabled ?

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

I have a question concerning the ADC option for Studio 5000 and Powerflex 525 drives . I have it set for all 17 drives in the system.

We had a 3 Horsepower Powerflex 525 go bad the other day, and maintenance tried to replace it with a 5 hp PF 525. There is an unmanaged
switch being used , so I texted them , without knowing they were replacing it with a 5 Hp , that they just needed to enter the IP Address and Subnet . It did not work .

When I set up the ADC for all the drives , I selected Compatible when I set the project up.

My question is , what if I select "Disabled Keying" , will any Powerflex 525 , within reason, work with ADC , and download parameters , and reestablish Ethernet connection ? Even if the horsepower is different ?

Thanks so much ,

I don't believe that will work. The keying relates to firmware revision. Since the actual part number changes when the HP changes, you need to update the tree in logix to the correct HP size.

Use the match drive feature.
Just make sure you know what parameters are different from default, since your replacing the drive.
Also, the firmware level usually changes with new drives. You would need to upload either from the drive to get the latest or go on web to get that update.

Thanks ,

Have you all used “ Firmware Supervisor “ . I read up on that a little today .
It sounds like it works injunction wth the SD Card .I was struggling understanding how the firmware of the PowerFlex 525 drives make their way to the SD card . Sounds like when it notices when the drive is changed , and notices that the firmware is different it changes the firmware on the new drive .

Thanks ,

Have you all used “ Firmware Supervisor “ . I read up on that a little today .
It sounds like it works injunction wth the SD Card .I was struggling understanding how the firmware of the PowerFlex 525 drives make their way to the SD card . Sounds like when it notices when the drive is changed , and notices that the firmware is different it changes the firmware on the new drive .
I've set it up before, but never actually seen it "work" - as in, I've never had to actually change a drive and let the firmware supervisor do its thing. But in general you're right - if the PLC establishes a connection to a VSD at a configured IP address, and the firmware of that VSD doesn't match the firmware configured in the project, it will flash the drive firmware to the required version. In the same way, if you also have ADC configured, if the PLC establishes a connection to a VSD at a configured IP address, and the parameters in that VSD don't match the parameters configured in the project, the PLC will write all the parameters to the drive according to the project.

You're right in that the firmware files have to be transferred onto the SD card. First you need to have the relevant firmware files registered on your PC, then you use Logix Designer to transfer them onto the SD card. Go to controller properties>non-volatile memory and follow the prompts - it's reasonably intuitive. The PLC has to be in program mode to transfer the files to the SD card.

Obviously all this is moot if your drive sizes don't match - I don't think there's any way around that situation without manual intervention.