Using Siemens remote I/O DP with Logix eth/IP

Dryhops

We bought some used equipment at auction that was a part of a larger system that was divided up. We received the control panel which consists of a number ET200s and a danfoss VFD. There are some cut profibus cables leading out of the panel that I assume used to go a CPU located elsewhere.

Instead of replacing the panel, I was hoping to reuse the ET200s I/O and control it from a compactlogix l33er.

1. We have a handful of Siemens systems in our facility that connect to our AB ethernet network with an anybus gateway, but they all have their own Siemens CPUs. Will I need to purchase a CPU to get this remote i/o configured?

2. Will I need access to step 7 to configure the ET200s, or can a basic set up be completed using just the DIP switches to address the profibus nodes? I figure if the I/O is already configured, I might be able to determine the addresses and configure the anybus without needing the implementation specifics.

3. Is this just a bad idea and I should plan to build a new panel instead using AB remote I/O?

I'm just in the 'testing the waters' stage of planning now, so any advice on the feasibility of this, as well as opinions of cost vs effort would be appreciated.

I did a simpler version of what you propose recently; I had a larger number of simple SMC EX500 valve manifolds and about a hundred Siemens POSMO servos. I used the Hilscher NT100-RE-PB, which is an EtherNet/IP Adapter on one side and a Profibus DP Scanner on the other.

The POSMOs are simple: six bytes in, six bytes out. Their configuration software needed its own "Ethernet to MPI/Profibus" messaging device, a Hilscher NT50-MPI.

ET200S will be harder. You'll probably configure it with COM Profibus (instead of Step 7), or the GSD files will give you enough information to configure it with another Profibus tool.

Which HMS Anybus devices do you currently use ?

I think your options will be the classic X-Gateway, or the more modern EtherNet/IP to Profibus Linking Device.

A year and a half ago I considered the HMS Profibus DP scanner model of the Linking Device, but it was very new at the time and ran into a firmware bug early on that added some risk I couldn't take.

I have used Prosoft in the past for other protocols, but not Profibus.
Profibus Master CompactLogix Card:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Rockwell-Automation-In-chassis/Platform/CompactLogix/PROFIBUS-DPV1-Master-for-CompactLogix

Ethernet/IP to Profibus Master Gateway device:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/EtherNet-IP/EtherNet-IP-to-PROFIBUS-DPV1-Master-Gateway

Their other products have been easy to setup, but are more expensive than some of their competitors products.

We have two Anybus gateways AB7649-F. That's the Ethernet Slave/Profibus slave combo I believe. They've never given me problems, so I thought it would be a good solution to take advantage of the fully wired panel. I'm more worried about my ability to get the Siemens I/O working. I was able to learn AB systems pretty rapidly, but I don't seem to have an affinity for Siemens.

In this case, without a CPU, I would need a Profibus master, correct?

Last edited:
You need a profibus master somewhere to keep the current IO. That could be a Siemens CPU, or a EIP to DP gateway, or a Profibus card comm card for the Logix rack (although I've only seen them for controllogix, never compact).

You also need a GSD file from Siemens, which is loaded into the config software of the Profibus master. Then you build up and configure the rack in their software.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/652154

The SST card for the EIP ET200S adapter also exists. I've seen it in action once or twice, with mostly ambivelent results: I don't think anyone hated it, but it sure didn't create any champions.

Something to keep in mind is that some cards won't be usable in a non-siemens configuration. Serial cards might not work, safety cards definitely won't work. What I'll call "traditional" IO modules (DI/DO/AI/AO) would be good to go, not sure what else. You'd have to check the SST adapter manual or the GSD file depending.

I think the model you need would be the AB7800, which is an AnyBus-X with EtherNet/IP Adapter on the slave side, and a Profibus DP Master on the other side.

Anybus Configuration Manager is the configuration tool, rather than COM Profibus. I don't have any experience setting that up for Profibus slaves.

If you can post an inventory of the ET200S modules folks might be able to give a little more input.

Yes, the AB7800 seems to be what I need. I'm getting that quoted now.

Module inventory is as follows:
Rack 1, IM151-1
DI 12x 6ES7-138-4BD01-0AB0
DO 16x 6ES7-132-4BD02-0AA0

Rack 2, IM151-1
RTD 4x 6ES7 134-4NB51-0AB0
AI 4x 6ES7 134-4MB02-0AB0
AO 3x 6ES7 135-4MB02-0AB0
Motor Starters 6x DS1-X 3RK1301-1GB00-0AA2

Digitals should only require a byte of the anybus bandwidth. Analogs are 2 bytes per channel. Not sure about the motor starters, I imagine there is status data that would be interchanged.

So per poll,
Analogs: 11 modules x 4 channels x 2 bytes = 88 bytes
Digitals: 28 modules x 4 discretes x 1 byte = 104 bytes
Starters: ?

The gateway supports "Maximum 512 bytes of I/O data in each direction", so unless the starters are data heavy, I should be able to get away with one anybus. I don't need a low RPI (or whatever the Siemens is) for this application.

Or am I missing something?

I'm still a little unclear if I'll need certain Siemens software for the configuration. It seems possible that I could do all of the profibus addressing via the anybus software.

For the IM151-1 you also need the exact type no. There are different basic, standard, high-feature.

Without knowing Anybus, maybe they do have the Siemens GSD files already, since Siemens ET200S is by far the most prolific Profibus slave system.
If you need to import GSD files from Siemens then they can be downloaded here:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/652154/profibus-gsd-files-:-et-200s?dti=0&lc=en-WW
You need to register to be able to download, but that should be easy enough.

In Anybus must exactly match the actual ET200S rack configuration. The number of bytes is handled automatically.

Yes, the AB7800 seems to be what I need. I'm getting that quoted now.

Module inventory is as follows:
Rack 1, IM151-1
DI 12x 6ES7-138-4BD01-0AB0
DO 16x 6ES7-132-4BD02-0AA0

Rack 2, IM151-1
RTD 4x 6ES7 134-4NB51-0AB0
AI 4x 6ES7 134-4MB02-0AB0
AO 3x 6ES7 135-4MB02-0AB0
Motor Starters 6x DS1-X 3RK1301-1GB00-0AA2

Digitals should only require a byte of the anybus bandwidth. Analogs are 2 bytes per channel. Not sure about the motor starters, I imagine there is status data that would be interchanged.

So per poll,
Analogs: 11 modules x 4 channels x 2 bytes = 88 bytes
Digitals: 28 modules x 4 discretes x 1 byte = 104 bytes
Starters: ?

The gateway supports "Maximum 512 bytes of I/O data in each direction", so unless the starters are data heavy, I should be able to get away with one anybus. I don't need a low RPI (or whatever the Siemens is) for this application.

Or am I missing something?

I'm still a little unclear if I'll need certain Siemens software for the configuration. It seems possible that I could do all of the profibus addressing via the anybus software.

As far as I know, the modules should get all the config from the Profibus master; you shouldn't need anything from Siemens besides the GSD file I linked earlier (Profibus equivelent of the EDS). Not sure if it includes the Motor Starters or not.

As far as I know, the modules should get all the config from the Profibus master; you shouldn't need anything from Siemens besides the GSD file I linked earlier (Profibus equivelent of the EDS). Not sure if it includes the Motor Starters or not.
On the Siemens download page, there are all the IM's sorted to version no.
That is why the IM151-1 version is important.
For example "6ES7151-1AA05-0AB0".
When you import the GSD for an IM, then you get all the modules, including motor starters, that the IM support.

Understood, thanks for the clarification.

They are the standard IM151-1, 6ES7 151-1AA05-0AB0

So I'll need just the one GSD file which will define the modules for both racks. This will allow the Anybus PROFIBUS Master Configurator to query the IM151's and then the modules will be automatically detected? Thus the Anybus can determine the number of I/O bytes that are required.

With this setup, the Anybus would fetch all of the relevant module data at full resolution and I would scale/process it on my AB controller. Thinking in Logix terms, all module I/O scaling is configured through a RSLogix5000 project. In other words, from a controller perspective. I've actually never used remote I/O without a controller. Are there things like module alarms, module input scaling that I would need Siemens software to reconfigure?

Put differently, in Siemens systems, does the CPU define alarms/scaling for the IM151, or would module configurations from the old project be stored and I should expect to have to reconfigure them?

The Siemens analog modules just send raw counts (0 to 27648) You will have to scale them in your logic. In a Siemens PLC you would use a FC for this or in PCS7 a channel driver. On the bright side, all the Siemens cards use the same raw counts. Not like some other vendors.