Organising folders in RsView32 Tag DB

sparky64

I'm trying to organise the Tags in an already written RSView project.
The guy who developed the project, has created all of the tags in the root folder.
i want to move the tags into folders that are broken down by machine number, alarm folder etc.
Does anyone know if it is possible to move tags from the root folder into another folder.

Cheers

Sparky

The only way to "move" tags between folders would be to use the "duplicate folder" function. Then remove the tags in the old folder and/or remove tags in the new folder that you dont want to move also.

As all tags are in the root folder you will have to do a lot of deleting to remove unwanted tags in the new folders.

I also think that you may have to update all (!) uses of the tags in the various animations, buttons, datalogs etc.

PhilipW said:
Create the folders you want then, export the db into a csv file and do all your editing in excel.

You beat me to it, Philip!

Sparky, it's probably a good thing that you want to put your tags into sub folders. Rockwell has advised me against putting too many tags in the root folder. Since I started doing this in RSViewSE, I've noticed a considerable performance improvement.

AK

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping there was a quick non energetic way of moving all the tags to the new folders.

I guess i'll have to do it the slow way in excel with the CSV files.

Cheers

Sparky

sparky64 said:
I guess i'll have to do it the slow way in excel with the CSV files.

What do you mean, slow?
It's hard to make it easier than "Fill-Down" and Copy-Paste.

If you're REALLY bored, you could waste a whole bunch of time and write a Visual Basic application to do all the work for you. (y)

AK